Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Wally Marshall combo at BassPro

Post Thanks / Like

Default Wally Marshall combo at BassPro

Sale catalog came today.....they have combo of Wally Marshall WM40 reel on different size rods....

I am looking for a rod to jig, cast or deep line for crappie.....

I know nothing about Wally Marshall reels and just getting back into crappie fishing.....so--I need suggestions.....combo is priced 39.98..

Is this a good deal?? What length rod do you suggest???

thanks everyone in advance...

Post Thanks / Like

I couldn't find the WM 40 reel combo?

I do have a WM Pro Series 8 ft. I really like, this is/was my first real crappie rod and I happy with it. I also have a WM Signature Combo they had on sale a month ago. The rod is 6' 6" and I like it also. The reel isn't great but it works, I will replace it with a Shimano Shara soon.

Post Thanks / Like

I actually bought a Wally Marshall combo that cost 39.99 at BPS and am very pleased with it. I don't think its the same one your looking at but the one i have works great.
    Last edited by CrappiePumba; 03-19-2009 at 12:44 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, I'm thinking of the same combo. I have a very strong preference for shorter rods in the boat, just makes it more manageable. But after reading every article on here about spider rigging and long-line trolling, maybe there is something to having 10-14ft rods. I assume the reels are pretty cheap, so I wouldn't think they would be good for much cast-and-retrieve style fishing. You can get the rod only for $5 less than the rod-and-reel combo.

Post Thanks / Like

If that reel is the one he was showing when he was in Clarksville In. a couple of weeks ago it's a revised version of the small reel for line storage. It was improved by adding a star drag to it, but it is still a small reel.
    smiles are contagious, spread them around
    Proud Member of the ZIPPER Club
    & Team Geezer

Post Thanks / Like

SanteeCarl, I saw the combo WM40 you are talking about in the BPS catalog. I can not help you with that type of reel, it is a baitcaster style and I don't use BC stuff for crappie fish, onlt bass fishing. If you turn the page their is another combo from WM that is a spinning combo, I bought this one a few months ago and really like it but I will up grade the reel in time.

Longer rods are good in boats. I like to say 'Reach out and touch them' with a longer rod you can reach 10-13 ft away from the boat and place/drop the jig were you want it. Some spots you can't cast to or if you get close with the boat you will spook the fish.