Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Hair/Feather vs. Plastic?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Hair/Feather vs. Plastic?

I have used both. I even tie my own hair and feather jigs and have caught plenty of crappie on them. Thing is, I always find myself going back to plastics for some reason. I would be interested to see who prefers which style jig, and why.
    Bob's Jigs Prostaff
    www.bobsjigs.com

shipahoy41 is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2022 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I still prefer a great marabou jig because of the underwater action it has even at rest.
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer.
    May God be with you. Keep CALM and STAY ANCHORED with your faith.

Post Thanks / Like

Plastics are cheap and have a life-like feel that hair and feathers can't match. They're also easier to rig weedless (see the crappie slider.)

On the other hand, hair and feathers have better action in the water and are more durable.

That being said, I'm more of a "marabou & chenille" guy. The main thing, though, is finding the fish. Then, put the jig you have confidence in right in front of their noses.

Brooksville, FL (Originally from Terre Haute, IN.)
    Post Thanks / Like

Ditto on the grubs. I prefer to tie jigs because it takes me away for the tv. Love creating something and being able to catch fish.

Chuck
    From Steve Wunderele - 10-2-84 --"A fishing trip maybe brief, but it's memories are endless."

Post Thanks / Like

Don't know why I got away from hair jigs. Now I Remember, Scrubs, Stroll-R, Triple Ripple grubs, venom grubs,and ribbon tail grubs!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I use soft plastic bodies only. A buddy of mine and I have a mold and we make our own. They are very easy to make and very inexpensive. You can use bulk liquid plastic or buy your favorite color plastic worms and melt them down to make your bodies.
    To make life enjoyable, you must have crappie days.

Post Thanks / Like

I like hair. I tie my own with bucktail.

WALLY MARSHALL PRO STAFF
    CATCHIN' CRAPPIE GUIDE SERVICE
    CREEKS ROD TRANSPORT RACK
    870-307-2572

Post Thanks / Like

I personally like plastics but have caught fish on hair jigs. It's a matter of confidence to me. I feel better with plastics since most of my better fish and consistent catches come that way. Your experience may vary-Good discussion.

the next generation of slabhunters

Post Thanks / Like

I pour all my jig heads, tie my hair jigs and use plastics too. For longline trolling you can't beat plastics. For casting, it's about half and half.

Post Thanks / Like

It is almost as exciting as the catch itself to know that you caught a crappie that big on something that you tied. When someone asks---what kind of jig did you catch those on?, It brings a smile to your face to say--- I tied it myself.