Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: jig weight

Post Thanks / Like

Default jig weight

Does anyone know about how much a #2 hook poured with a 1/32 jig head mold
    will weigh?
    Or, what would be the best hook size to use to get me close to the actual 1/32 weight?

Post Thanks / Like

I think that you are carrying the weight too far. It doesnt matter.

Post Thanks / Like

really don't think it makes that much difference. we cought fish this weekend on 1/24-1/8 in the same boat at the same brush pile at the same time.

Post Thanks / Like

well i will say sometimes weight does seem to matter with the fall of the jig but realy the hook dont add enuff to worry about
    Alan

Post Thanks / Like

I'm assuming that when Do it made the molds that they factored in the head weight with hook in it. But I will send them a message and ask that question.
    but overall I don't worry about it. Now I have molds with collars, and to make my molds double duty I cut the collars off them to the bottom of the head.

So there's a reduction right there, but I'll send a note to Do it and post back.

Fatman

Post Thanks / Like

Hay Bigbob: I didn’t have anything better to do, so I got out the old Mettler and weighed some stuff: I converted to metric because it is easier than dealing with say 9/128 of an oz. 1 lb =454 grams, 1oz= 28.375 grams, 1/32 oz= 0.887 grams, so that is our aim point.
    Some hooks first, Eagle Claw fine jig hooks (gold)
    #2 0.18 g
    #4 0.12 g
    #6 0.10g

Aim= 0.887g
    Commercial lead #6 0.95g (round head)
    Doit minnow #4 lead 1.17g (recessed eye minnow JME-8-1632A)
    Doit minnow #4 painted 1.29 g

1/16 oz. aim 1.77
    Doit minnow #2 lead 2.28 g

Mine seem to run a little heavy, so if you want exactly 1/32 oz you will have to fiddle around some. Best way to get precise weights is if you or one of your buddies has a reloading powder scale. You have to convert grams or oz to grains. 1 gram = 15.43 grains, 1oz= 437.5 grains. 1/32 oz= 13.7 grains. That was fun. Good luck!
    Terry

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys, you have cleared it up for me. I was being told by a fellow jig maker that
    my #2 hooks were making my 1/32 pour way to heavy. I now see that is not really that much of a difference.

NIMROD is online now Crappie.com Legend - Kids Corner Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Depends alot of fishing methods but I want big heavy jigs to verticle fish. I have noticed different 1/8 oz molds don't make weigh the same. the round head with barb and tapered tube head are weigh way different.
    Moderator of Beginners n Mentoring forum
    Takeum Jigs

Post Thanks / Like

OK here's the answer I got back form Do IT

"As a general rule the weight listed is the weight of the jig when completed with the designated hook. Naturally the weight will change if other hooks or hook sizes are used and can also vary with the particular alloy used to cast the jig. Some people use pure lead others use lead mixed with other metals. This can effect the weight of a jig rather easily when referring to castings as small as 1/16 or 1/32 oz."

Kind regards,
    Do-It Corporation

Fatman