PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on braided line for crappie?

baptistpreach
03-15-2009, 10:56 PM
I was thinking that some 10lb test in 2lb diameter would provide some great peace of mind when the pesky bass bites, and whenever its needed otherwise. What do you think?
Is there some big reason that I shouldn't use it?

Thanks for the replies

MDCrappie
03-16-2009, 05:17 AM
I use Cabela's Ripcord 10lb whenever it's not too windy. The wind seems to pull the braid more than mono. That's the only problem that I've found with it.

feelay
03-16-2009, 05:32 AM
I like it when jigging deep inside ironwood bushes. Every time you drop a jig in the center of these, you catch a fish or you're hung. With the braid, I can straighten the hook, or muscle the fish from the cover.

dedawg1149
03-16-2009, 06:00 AM
ihate braid for anything,but that is just me

thankfull
03-16-2009, 06:39 AM
How is it for shooting docks? and does it cast well?

creekslick
03-16-2009, 07:48 AM
I use Power Pro braid for pulling crankbaits.

smashdn
03-16-2009, 08:08 AM
I use braid because it is no to low stretch and ultra sensitive so it transmits lite strikes back through the rod very well. I throw 98% of the time charlie brewer slider grubs on the slider heads. I chunk those jigs into everything imaginable so it is necessary for me to be able to tell a bite from just bumping a limb.

Downsides are; the wind issue that was brought up, it is so limp that if you get a knot or your jig gets wrapped up it takes a little time picking the knot apart to get back to fishing, if you do get hung up and try to pull it loose it will cut your hands if you don't use something to wrap the line around to pull it free.

CrappiePappy
03-16-2009, 08:48 AM
... is already posted in this thread :D : http://www.crappie.com/crappie/main-crappie-fishing-forum/89627-shallow-jig-bobber.html

... cp :cool:

PanMan_VA
03-16-2009, 09:53 AM
I used to use 8/1 PowerPro braid but I broke a lot of rod tips since the rod has to do all the giving under load. I put on Ande 10 pound mono in place of the braid and have not broken a rod since I changed.

Wannabe...
03-16-2009, 09:56 AM
It has it's place. The drawbacks to me are

1) It is very visible compared to similar mono type lines. Not a real issue for me around here, but it's in my mind at times when the water clears.

2) It sticks like velcro to laydowns. I'm usually working cover with a jig pole and it you drop it on a laydown or a stick, it tends to stick hard and fast to it. Not that big of a deal unless the wind is up and the cover is heavy.

3) Can be a pain on spinning reals with wind knots if you're trying to cast.

Still, the sensitivity and durability plus the abilty to upsize the line weight out weigh the negatives. Got it on about 1/2 the rods in the boat, but none of the casting rods.

Wannabe...

tritonman
03-16-2009, 10:03 AM
I don't cast with it but everything else has power pro on it

creekslick
03-16-2009, 10:12 AM
I am planning on spooling my spider-rigging rods with Power Pro also.

sea-sons
03-16-2009, 10:35 AM
It has it's places. Where I really like it is fishing visible cover on the banks using minnows and a slide bobber. Put your bobber stoper knot on the 15lb power pro then your cork and tie a small barrell swivel with a palamar knot on your power pro. Then attach about a foot or so of 10 or 12lb test fluorocarbon and a #4 extra fine wire hook with a loop knot. With this setup you'll hardly ever have to completly retie your rig. Most of the time the hook will straighten. If not, you just tie tie on another hook.

LBM
03-16-2009, 10:40 AM
I don't use it for casting. The majority of my fishing is vertical tight line type fishing with which I only use high vis braid. The other day working brush after too many break offs I took some 15 lb braid stren high vis line and replaced it with 20 lb power pro. Would have replaced it with heavier but didn't have it on the boat.

I sometimes find if the fish are tight in heavy cover and aren't really active they won't bite my presentation until and after banging the bait in around and on the cover. This is somewhat surprising to eventually get a bite after the lengh of time at doing this and still get a bite. I kind of figure if they in there and not wanting to bite I'll just bang them on the head and agitate them out of there. When doing this I really prefer to have strong enough line to straighten my hooks out and not have to retie.

I don't think crappie have a brain of sufficient size and reasoning abilities for them to avoid a bait because of using high vis line. I just don't think crappie are line shy but do believe they have lock jaw sometimes. Some folks on here have reported poking their long rod tips under docks with the bait at the rod tip and catching fish. I have caught crappie with minnows on the weld rod rigs dropped into heavy cover.

Just some of my demented thoughts on braid and line shyness in crappie.

baptistpreach
03-16-2009, 10:54 AM
Can you not cast braid as well as mono? Seems like many of you say you don't use it for casting

LBM
03-16-2009, 10:58 AM
Can you not cast braid as well as mono? Seems like many of you say you don't use it for casting

One can cast it ok it's just I don't like the sound of it.

3's
03-16-2009, 01:58 PM
I use it on most my rods with only one BIG complaint. When fishing shallow with a slip cork rig, if you hook one in tight cover and goe to haul it out and the fish throws the hook it will tie knots better than a backlashed baitcaster in a 3 year olds hands:eek: I rigged my 2 casting rods with Flouro but have 15 lb 4 dia on all my jiggin'/slip cork rigs.

foul hook
03-16-2009, 02:12 PM
I have preached XL for years. I cant resist the opportunity to try something new. I have tried most superlines and dislike all. I took someones advice probably (Crappypappy) and tried some 10/2 power pro nad some of the 2# fire line. Dont like it! No need for it! XL is everything that one needs.

chaunc
03-16-2009, 05:38 PM
I have preached XL for years. I cant resist the opportunity to try something new. I have tried most superlines and dislike all. I took someones advice probably (Crappypappy) and tried some 10/2 power pro nad some of the 2# fire line. Dont like it! No need for it! XL is everything that one needs.

I completely agree with foulhook. I dont care for any type of braid for crappie fishing. I have a rod rigged with it for perch fishing on Lake Erie tho. We fish tightline in 45 to 60 feet of water and the braid gives me that extra feel on the bite.

TAE73
03-16-2009, 06:27 PM
Its the only thing I have used 4 years now, never had a problem with cutting eyes or breaking rods. I use the 10/2 power pro on shooting docks, castings, vertical fishing, and dipping with long rods. Best thing about it no memory, when it gets low on a spool just tie on new line and go. It will not work on spincast reels, open face and baitcasters only. I have fished with the same 3 rods and reels for over 2 years, I have not seen any wear on them at all.

Chadku
03-16-2009, 08:48 PM
I use it exclusively now....power pro 10/2 and I have started using suffix braid in the neon orange....its really bright and so far has not caused any fewer bites when fishing with others no using it. I do not lose many jigs at all anymore....Spend a little more here and you save a lot of $$ later.

double trouble
03-17-2009, 01:35 AM
we use suffix hi vis 6# braid exclusively,tried to go back and use others, cant do it, the feel on this line is great. Use it on spinning rods only and have had no problems with it.

sac-a-lait
03-17-2009, 02:20 AM
I switched over to the hi-vis orange Suffix also. LOVE IT!!!

baptistpreach
03-17-2009, 11:35 AM
Fellas, thank you so much! I'm gonna do it!! I've actually got some Stren Sinking braid (10/2) I won from E-bay coming, and I think I'll switch one of my spools for the neon orange sufix. I planned on using it for catfishing, and why not go for crappie too!

Jig Man
03-17-2009, 05:43 PM
I use 8 lb. PowerPro Hi-Vis for all of my crappie fishing. I use it for casting on my spinning rods and also for vertical jigging in deep brush piles. I absolutely love it- have nothing negative to say about it. I have also used Sufix braid and it seems to be a good product also. I will say that after you fish with braid for a while, it is very hard to switch back to mono. I never really realized how much stretch mono has until I started using braid. Now it's braid all the way!!!