Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Hook size question

Post Thanks / Like

Default Hook size question

Before anyone says, yes I am somewhat OC when it comes to some things. I have been pouring jigs for several years. I started this because I was thinking a larger hook would work better even on small heads and they were not easy to find. So I got a mold and started casting 1/4oz, 1/8oz and 1/16oz heads with 1, 1/0 or 2/0 (570’s). Last year I wanted to make some heads for bluegill trolling so I changed the hook size to 4s and 8s (570’s). I cast up a bunch and they performed well for bluegill. Laziness caused me to leave these heads with 4’s on my trolling poles when targeting crappie. What was interesting was the catch/hookup rate on crappies with these same jigs as compared to the larger hook ones. I almost never miss a fish and VERY few throw the hook since changing to smaller hooks.

Now last week I cast up a bunch of 1/8oz pony heads. The mold only allows a #1 or larger (unmodified of course) for 1/8oz. So I cast some up with the 1’s and tried them this past weekend. I had several strong bites that didn’t hook up and lost three close to the boat. I think I can get some long shank 2s and 4s (574’S) that should work in this mold.

Now for the question, I wondered if any of the ‘more experienced’ ones on here have OPINIONS or experience as to hook size vs hookup/landing.

Post Thanks / Like

For trolling I use #4 for my 1/32oz and #4 and #2 for my 1/16oz jigs. For jigs I cast with grubs and tie with hair, I use #6 hooks for both sizes. Hope that makes sense. Works for me.

STUMP HUNTER is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

All I ever use is the #2 gold hooks (not 2/0) never had any trouble with hookups.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER ---------
    Ascend 133X 13' - MotorGuide Xi3 & Mercury 4

Post Thanks / Like

4s and 6s are what I use now made some with larger hooks once and didn't like them.
    Allatoona Bandit

Post Thanks / Like

DB

Are you going by what the mold says in 1/0 hook or are you just putting a hook in and molding??? I've never modified my mold for ponys and use bigger and smaller hooks as I want too.

The mold will take a size 2 sickle fine, and a 2 and 4 mustad 32756 just fine, so the 570 or 575 should fit too.

The size 4 sickle with the bend of it is just a little too short to close the mold but if you trimmed the light edge in the mold they would fit.

Fatman

Post Thanks / Like

The hook-up rate is why I really like using the 1/4 oz. Bighead Jig with the #4 hooks.

Big Head Crappie Jigs

We really like using the larger Super Jig from Midsouth with these jigheads.

CATCH A BIG-UN

Post Thanks / Like

I like 1/16 & 1/8 jig heads with a #2 gold. I too prefer mid-south superjig tubes as well as their jig heads.
    Carl's Guide Service
    Sardis Lake
    Enid Lake
    Grenada Lake
    901-734-7536