Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rod Lenght Question for All Around Crappie Fishing

Post Thanks / Like

Default Rod Lenght Question for All Around Crappie Fishing

If you had to pick between a 5'6 or a 6' rod which would you go with for all around fishing? I figured 6 ft would give me better casting with small jigs and lighter weights, but when I checked my 2 current UL setups, they were both 5 fters!

So... for trolling, vertical jigging, cast and retrieve, which would you go with?

*And I meant to type length no lenght, I guess I'm tired!
    Last edited by baptistpreach; 03-15-2009 at 12:59 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

I dont cast here at Rend and fish a 11 foot pole year around. I didnt see 11 foot as a option so I added it. LOL.
    Rend Lake Crappie Guides
    www.crappiextreme.com

CrappiePappy is online now Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Wink Don't know as there's any "all around" length ...

Quote Originally Posted by baptistpreach View Post
    If you had to pick between a 5'6 or a 6' rod which would you go with for all around fishing? I figured 6 ft would give me better casting with small jigs and lighter weights, but when I checked my 2 current UL setups, they were both 5 fters!
    So... for trolling, vertical jigging, cast and retrieve, which would you go with?
    *And I meant to type length no lenght, I guess I'm tired!
    ... for the three methods you mention. Trolling can require multiple lengths, unless you're only trolling with one rod ... then length isn't as much of an issue. Vertical Jigging is generally done with rods over 8ft in length. Casting can be done with most any length, up to around 10ft ... but, reel & line size/type can make a big difference, too.
    But, even so, alot of times it boils down to personal preferrence and/or what length rod you can handle most effectively.

For me, personally ... I prefer 7 & 8ft rods to cast with, which is the method I use the most. Shooting docks can be done with 5-8ft rods, but preferrence leads me to use 5-6ft rods. My trolling, which I don't do much of, is usually done with one rod ... and that's whatever rod I have in hand, at the time, and mostly utilized when moving from one spot to another, if they're less than 100yds apart. I don't vertical jig, but I do "Vertical Cast" ... and any of my 5-8ft rods are usable for this method.
    In case you are not familiar with the method I call "Vertical Casting" ... here's the "how to" article I wrote: Crappie.com - Crappie Fishing Information and Adventure - Vertical Casting

... cp

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum
    Post Thanks / Like

Default rod length

Let me start by telling you that I do things a bit different sometimes and this is just my opinion. You already have the short rods, but does at least one of them have 4lb hi-vis line on it. My last 2 trip I have seen 60% of my hits rather than felt them. If you can't see the subtle line movements you are missing fish.
    The next rods up the line are the 6' to 7', of these I have many from light to medium fast action. To each it's purpose. Keep in mind that it's easy to tear a hook out of a Crappies tender mouth. My stiffer rods are for vertical jigging with heavier jigs, 1oz or more. I also use them to troll crankbaits with. The softer ones I use for float and fly, casting, and anything else with lightweight artificials.
    Then we come to the long rods. 8' to 16' in length, most folks use these for spider rigging or vertical jigging. I think the spider rods are a bit stiffer due to the weights use to keep the jigs or baits at depth. Vertical jigging with light jigs take a sensitive, balanced, comfortable rod, cuz it's going to be in your hand most of the day. Not too soft cuz you still have to get the fish out of the cover, but definately not bony.
    That is the best I can offer, and there is no 1 rod standard to suggest. Too many variables; budget, cover, reel preference, and so on. If I had to have just one for my style of fishing it would be a 6'medium with a soft tip. I would have to have 2 spools with 4lb and 6lb line though to cover the bases. Good luck with your search. I have 21 rods hanging from the ceiling of my shed and use them all. Tight lines.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Post Thanks / Like

My current UL is a 6'6" and as much as I like it I'm gonna switch to a 7' based on reading stuff here and other boards.

Fatman

Post Thanks / Like

I pretty much jig docks or cast exclusively for crappie and my 7' St. Croix Triumph gives me some added length and sensitivity that ya can't get with shorter rods.
    Fishin' fills the time until College football season

Post Thanks / Like

You already have a short rod. You need 1 long rod. A 10 ft rod can be used for everything. You can pitch, shake a jig on a bobber, tight line and troll. It wouldnt be my only rod but it will compliment others that you may have. I cant emagine being without one. I have rods ranging from 5ft to 16 ft. i use the 10s more than anything. Try it you will like it.

PawPaw Gene is offline Crappie.com 2012 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Since most of my fishing is casting I use a 7 footer. It also allows me to do vertical jig presentation in situations that arise while casting, like vertical jigging behind a stump or log that pops up. No use to change pole for 1 stump. I also keep a 10 footer very close by so that if I can't reach out with the 7 footer I can grab it.

"gene"
    "G" Gone but not forgotten!!

Post Thanks / Like

i use a 7 foot micro ultra light set up and just love it, no problem casting those light jigs at all...

Post Thanks / Like

If I could only have one rod it would be 7 or 8 ft.
    Allatoona Bandit

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast