Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: when to hunt morrels in tennessee?

Post Thanks / Like

Default when to hunt morrels in tennessee?

when do u guys find these jewels in tenn. and where do they usually grow at?ive heard they grow under tulip trees is this correct?can anyone help me?what do they look like?do they look like small christmas trees but brown with pores in them?

Post Thanks / Like

If ya know anyone who's gone out before, go with them, don't want to eat the wrong one!!!!

In Ohio, dead elm trees are the first stops for me. As far as a time frame... there are many ideas on what makes em pop. My belief is the first days after the first halfways warm rain in the spring. I'm waiting.......

Post Thanks / Like

Dead elms are the best places...may apples..and I agree with AtticaFish warm rains after a decent warm-up...your area I would guess April
    Duane

Post Thanks / Like

google it. There are pictures and forums dedicated to morel hunting.

Post Thanks / Like

Default What they said...

up here in MI they pop after a good warm spell w/ rain. The warm nights are the key. Elm, and Poplar.

Life has many choices, eternity has two...choose wisely.
    Unapplied biblical truth is like unapplied paint...how many gallons do you have sittin' around? U.D.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know if it's the same in Tennessee. In Indiana the mushrooms will begin popping when the NIGHT temps do not drop below 50 for 4-6 nights in a row. Soil temps mean everything.
    I would bet my home on it around here, when the night temps don't drop below 50 for 4-6 days you can find morels. Have found my first here in late March and have found my first around the 20th of April. Depends on the year. Just watch the night temps
    Caught so many fish today my thumb is sore from clicking the counter.

Post Thanks / Like

In westTenn. watch for may apples to come up and wild tabbackie!! its a sure sign if i aint fish'en i start out earley at the peed mont _foot hills bottom of the land hill side. i look for the north side of a bluff that the wind hits. heck i forgot the resoning for it, i like to start there becuase the spores travel down hill as the wind threw the years blew them high in the ski and the rain i believe wash's them down. I almost always at first find them there, and then the colors differ the yella's greys etc. I aint going to run off at the mouth, but good luck just keep u a good mushroom stick (walken s.) 4 snakes.
    u will smell'em no doubt like them green worms.
    Reel foot yankee

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PapermouthLegend View Post
    I don't know if it's the same in Tennessee. In Indiana the mushrooms will begin popping when the NIGHT temps do not drop below 50 for 4-6 nights in a row. Soil temps mean everything.
    I would bet my home on it around here, when the night temps don't drop below 50 for 4-6 days you can find morels. Have found my first here in late March and have found my first around the 20th of April. Depends on the year. Just watch the night temps
    Papermouth said what I meant.

Life has many choices, eternity has two...choose wisely.
    Unapplied biblical truth is like unapplied paint...how many gallons do you have sittin' around? U.D.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey YD i will be in your neck of the woods mon staying in paw paw, It a few mins more to my place but just funny since moms gone! what up with the sports show Kevin V dam. you no anything! I will be making a trip for some them chicken of the woods mushroons (collie flour) dads got em and the rest i no by the ethnic names Spounge's butter vinnke,s but that Pollish and that,s my natoinality ia,m oppenning my self up to alot of cheap shots but thats life!! Will PM ya RFY
    Reel foot yankee