Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Shallow on Jig & Bobber

Post Thanks / Like

Default Shallow on Jig & Bobber

Shallow and spawning like crazy. Moon is full, water in back of coves is 68 degrees and they are there in one foot deep water.

Ignore the weeds and fish around every stick or piece of wood you see in less than 2' deep water with a jig and bobber. Go to the very back of coves and pockets. So shallow that your trolling motor is kicking up mud. (Beware of "green monsters" lurking in same area's.) I was using a jigum Grasshopper but any jig would work.

14 Monday afternoon included this 2#2oz, a 1-15, 1-14 total for 7 was 11#1 oz.

Move fast, if they don't hit it within 5 seconds they probably won't ever.

Good luck and no excuses, anyone can do it now, right now, today. It may change tomorrow.

They are shallow at Lewisville, Roberts, Ray Hubbard & Texoma so they are probably doing it everywhere.

I prefer the rubber stops but any will work.
    Good fishing.

Post Thanks / Like

Perfection in simplicity!!!!!!!! What kind of grub is that???

Fatman

Post Thanks / Like

Thats a beautiful fish in the picture!

This is prob. a dumb question, but why even bother with a float? I think it actually slows you down and is far more noticeable...? Or should I be using one..hah. As aggressive as they seem right now, they're definitely not spooking easily.

Post Thanks / Like

I always thought that if they'll bite on jigs, they'll bite on minnows better, but that's my confidence level, not a fact, and I know a lot of jig fishermen who think differently. I've caught them as shallow as 3 - 6 " when it was really right.

Post Thanks / Like

informative post Ernest...thanks
    Duane

Post Thanks / Like

They're get'en shallow here in central NC too. Water temp is in mid 50's.

Post Thanks / Like

I use a bobber because I can reach spots too far away to vertical fish with my rod. Plus I love to see that bobber go down. I prefer jigs for the same reason, confidence, the're cheaper (I often fish several trips with the same jig) and I'm convinced that I can catch more fish on jigs. And I never have to dump my leftovers at the end of the day.

That's just my opinion though.
    Good fishing.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Micropterus salmoides View Post
    Thats a beautiful fish in the picture!

This is prob. a dumb question, but why even bother with a float? I think it actually slows you down and is far more noticeable...? Or should I be using one..hah. As aggressive as they seem right now, they're definitely not spooking easily.
    The last trip with Lunker to the Tenn-Tom it was the cork VS no cork with Trey standing running us down the bank using no cork and hi-vis line and me sitting in the back with a cork, same jig, and he caught a whole lot more fish than I did. Only one spot where the cork was better was over a log, seemed a little easier to get it out of that spot without hanging. Trey is a basser and what he was doing with his crappie pole was flipping, I believe, a fixed amount of line out and swing it into the bank and fish it back to the boat. Was able to fish by to the boat with different depths. I tried the no cork route but I had Cajun Red line and just could not see my line, every now and them Trey would say did you see my line jump or move off to the side? Any way I just bought another jig pole, like I need another, a 11' BNM Ultra Lite and put some hi-vis line on it so will be able to watch my line next time. Of course I will still have a pole with a cork as I too like to watch it go down.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Southern Sickle Jigs Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

Steve,
    What does the water look like where yall where fishing. I pitch my jigs like your buddy this time of year, but i rely mostly on feel... some on sight. The only time my jig is dead still RIGHT now is if I'm dropping it through exposed brush along the bank. I'd sure be nice to rely more on feel when I'm pitching but I'm still unsure about high vis line.
    I REALLY want to use it but I think I need some serious reassurance b/f I dive in and try it....

I'm gonna do a search and read up on it, but for anybody else who uses high vis line, what kind of water clarity do you fish?
    Anybody elses opinion on high vis line would definitely be appreciated.
    Brands?
    lb. test?
    etc

Adam

Post Thanks / Like

I fish a lot the same way, try some you'll be surprised at the fish that move your line that you never felt. The water that I fish is dark to muddy, if I was fishing real clear water and felt uncomfortable with it tie on some clear leader or even floro-carbon.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast