Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do you troll for shallow crappie...

Post Thanks / Like

Default How do you troll for shallow crappie...

I am just looking for some more ideas on shallow trolling. Do you guys spider-rig off the front of your boats, with the jigs down shallow or are you long-lining out the back with corks? Is there something that you do different that you have found sucess with?
    It aint how big or how fancy your boat is, it's how many fish you can put in the frying pan!

Post Thanks / Like

I have a lot of success in water 3-6' deep putting a 16' rod out the side and running a 1/32 oz. jig on 12" - 36" of line. If I am trolling out the back I just adjust the weight of jig and lenth of line to run the depth that I want.
    Allatoona Bandit

Post Thanks / Like

A lot of people will tite-line off the front of the boat
    with long rods (14-16) ft. In doing this you are trying
    to catch the fish before the trolling motor and boat
    noise spook them. We are talking 6ft. of water or less.
    Billy Deuce

Fried Crappie.... "The real thing".

Post Thanks / Like

If in say 4' or more I just troll 1/32 oz about as far out as I can cast and 6' is probably my most used depth this time of year. Late spring I will move out to 11'-14' (when they are moving out of the shallow water and before the summer pattern has started) and troll the same bait and sometimes use a 1/16 in place of the 1/32, but still catch a lot on a 1/32 oz Roadrunner.

Caught 20 this morning in 1 1/2 hours in 6' -9' of water.

Skip

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

Post Thanks / Like

I have found that longlining with corks is deadly on shallow water crappie. Saw the new planer corks that are out there and wondered how they would do for this purpose. I currently will fish 14' rods off the front spider rigging and have no problems finding fish, even with a c/c rig. Gotta be quiet though and have a well greased tm or digital steering.

Post Thanks / Like

In shallow water, I'll longline troll out the back of the boat with 1/32 and 1/64 oz jigs with triple tail bodies. Works for me. Infact I got about 75 nice slabs (10" -15") we caught the last two days fishing that way to clean tomorow.

Post Thanks / Like

How can you throw a 1/64 oz. jig far enough behind you to troll it?

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Wink Easy .....

Quote Originally Posted by blairarnold View Post
    How can you throw a 1/64 oz. jig far enough behind you to troll it?
    ... just cast it out, then let out more line (if you need to). :p

You don't have to even be able to cast a jig, of any weight, in order to be able to troll with it. You can always hand strip line off the reel, until you get the bait as far behind the boat as you want.

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

I troll 1/64 oz. jigs. I have just line holders on my trolling rods. I just strip line up to the first eyelet and count how many times I strip it. This helps me get the same depth each time.

In shallow water I prefer to spider-rig I use my own version though. I put all the rods out of one side of the boat. If I am fishing with someone I put them in the back (of course ). The rods in the back I will use a much lighter weight then those in the front. The back rods will be semi-long lining and the front rods will hang straight down. This has worked for me many times.

I like this method cause if the guy in the front or back of the boat starts catching more fish. You both change your tactics to fit what's working best
    Caught so many fish today my thumb is sore from clicking the counter.

Post Thanks / Like

A question for those that have already posted. Do you use your electric motor or gas motor? I use a 10 hp and troll in water from 3-10 feet and found that the noise from the motor doesn't bother my catch ratio. I use a 1/8 or 1/4 jig and curly tail and troll up to 2 mph hour depending upon water temp.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast