Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Pushing or Pulling

Post Thanks / Like

Default Pushing or Pulling

I have always pushed when trolling. I see the posts about long lining but I don't know the details such as trolling speed and rigging etc. Any input would be appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like

If you want to try it quick, turn you front pole holders back where you can stick rods out both side and fan out pointing back. Varying rod lengths will enable you to get some separation between the lures. Put some 1/8oz jig heads on rods with #6 test or so, cast out about 20-40 yards depending on water depth and cruise at between .8 and 1 mph. Keep moving as when you stop they all sink and either get hung up or crap all on them. I use sliders, curly tails and shad swim baits.

Thats the basics. You can vary jig weight and line length based on water depth. If you get into it you can rig your rod holders in the back but trolling motor control can be difficult based on your particular motor. The description above is how I got started. My eight pole setup would only work with six rods at first and I had a cable operated TM so everything had to happen up front. I bought a powerdrive that has a long wire which enabled me to move the foot control to the back then mounted seats and rod holders across the back. I don't think I pushed one time last year as pulling is way more fun to me. Maybe we can hook up soon and you can try it.

Post Thanks / Like

Well I do my long line trolling a lot different than Dickieboy. This time of year I only use a 1/8 oz jig in strong wind and then it's not long line and I just troll by the side of the front of my boat, but then that is more for deeper water, usually 10' or more.

This time of year when the fish are shallow I troll mostly a 1/32 or 1/16 oz jigs. I like the 1/32 best and my favorite is to troll over and around Hydrilla. The same thing though can be done without the Hydrilla if you just fish the contour that the fish are hanging on. First best drop off the bank at about 6' +- water depth.

If you use a 1/8 oz long line is shallow water it will be dragging the bottom IMHO. I actually like Roadrunners best with a marabou tail too. I do use just a regular jig a lot though.

My web site has a How To Page and it's not complete guide for trolling, but I do have enough that you should be able to get started or get ideas from.

Skip

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the input fellas!