Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: where to find female crappie

Post Thanks / Like

Question where to find female crappie

i have been fishing the past two weeks and only been catching males,over brush piles, the water in the lake i have been fishing is still very low.i have been reading all of these posts and see that some of you guys are catching big females and on some of the posts ive seen is that the females are in the channels and the males are in shallow water,do you have to troll these channels or vertical jiging and once you find a channel do you have to find some type of structure or do they just stay around the channels, and when they say channels is it in the main part of the lake?one more question where is the best place to catch the females this time of the year the main lake toward the dam or the upper part of the lakes were it is shallow, as you can see i dont know much about crappie fishing not unless its just putting a minnow in a brush pile. hope you guys can help me.

Post Thanks / Like

Default First depth change

Look for the first break towards deeper water.What is the temp?Females should not be far behind males.Take a few and leave some seed!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe tell the guys here what part of country your in, Lake?,or kind of lake, water temp,? Lots of folks smarter than I can help here.
    I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it.....

PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER

Post Thanks / Like

it is fishtrap lake in kentucky, its a small lake and it is about 12 foot below summer pool, the water temp is 51.

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up I agree with Riverman ...

Quote Originally Posted by bo3000 View Post
    it is fishtrap lake in kentucky, its a small lake and it is about 12 foot below summer pool, the water temp is 51.
    Females should not be far off from where the males are stationed. Look for the nearest quick drop in water depth, channel edge, or submerged cover, that's closest to the spot where the males are gathered. The females should be staging there, and making runs into the shallow water to feed, at various times during the day. Once the water gets above 55deg, the activity level of both should increase. They should be actively spawning by the time the water temps get around 58-60deg & stable.

Northernmost banks/creeks will warm first, as they get greater amounts of sunlight time, regardless of which part of the lake they're located.
    As Crappie migrate into their spawning areas, they'll follow the channels or channel edges. Until time to actually spawn, they're on the feed ... and both males and females will move in and out of shallow water, following their food source. Once on the bed, they won't actively feed ... but, they will attack anything perceived as a threat to the eggs/fry. Cold fronts and water level fluctuation will reposition the fish, but they'll go right back to their routine, as soon as temps rise & water levels stabilize.
    Crappie will also follow slow rising water, right up into the flooded brush/weeds/trees, because food is readily available there and easy to find.

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

thanks guys this has helped alot,ill try these steps the next time i go.

Post Thanks / Like

Crappiepappys' got it right on.
    Allatoona Bandit