Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Marker Buoys

Post Thanks / Like

Default Marker Buoys

I know there are lots of things talked about and lots of ideas passed. I am looking to make marker buoys.. They are like 5 bucks a piece the cheapest and if you would like more than 5 I am pretty sure you can buy the materials or have them laying around for cheaper. Lindy's marker buoys sell in a pack of three with holder for 32.99 this is crazy. Please provide ideas to help. I was thinking of using PVC filled with that expanding foam, However it will probably continue to unroll.... Please help...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bigascanbe View Post
    I know there are lots of things talked about and lots of ideas passed. I am looking to make marker buoys.. They are like 5 bucks a piece the cheapest and if you would like more than 5 I am pretty sure you can buy the materials or have them laying around for cheaper. Lindy's marker buoys sell in a pack of three with holder for 32.99 this is crazy. Please provide ideas to help. I was thinking of using PVC filled with that expanding foam, However it will probably continue to unroll.... Please help...

Make some Arkie Bouy Markers - less than 50-cents each.
    FISH ON!
    Jerry Blake

www.BLAKETOURS.com

Post Thanks / Like

How?

Post Thanks / Like

Get a "swim noodle", some 2 or 3-ounce Bank Sinkers, some 60-penny galvanized nails and a roll of Mason's Line. Cut the swim noodle into pieces just longer than the nails. If the Swim Noodle has a hole through it you can put a piece of 3/4" CPV pipe through the hole to keep it straight. Put one nail in one side of each piece of noodle just under the surface. Cut a piece of the Mason's Line about 10-feet longer than the deepest water you ever plan to fish. Put a 2-ounce bank sinker on one end of the Mason's line. Then put the other end of the Mason's line on the piece of noodle and roll the line up in the center of the noodle as tightly as you can. If you fish in rough water put two nails in the noodle, one from each end and next to each other and use a 3-ounce Bank Sinker. The line wrapped around the noodle will make sort of a spool after a few days but as then gets loose ((because the noodle is getting smaller in the middle) you'll want to unroll the whole thing and roll it back up again.

Here's a picture of one with the nail pulled out:

Here's a couple (made with some heavier cord) in my Minnow Caddy:

They last me about a year using them nearly every day and if the foam wears out out can reuse the nail, weight and line to make new ones. Try to remember to re-tie the line on the sinker every now and then because it can wear some and you can loose the sinker if it gets hung up in some brush. Having an extra 10-feet of line let's you refresh the sinker end several times before the line gets to short. You can use any braided nylon cord but Mason's Line seems to hold up best. The heavier cord is OK but it makes them a bit bulky.
    FISH ON!
    Jerry Blake

www.BLAKETOURS.com

Post Thanks / Like

Built my first one. It's the first one that I grab to throw out!
    CATCH A BIG-UN

Post Thanks / Like

Great idea!

Post Thanks / Like

THe Arkie Buoy looks like a good simple plan, I think it's easier than what I did. I used a similar plan, but for materials I used corks from wine bottles, a long threaded bolt and nut (4" x 1/16th), and fishing line that I didn't use on my reels. The basic idea is to make an "H" out of the three corks, and drill through them so that the long bolt goes all the way through. Then just bolt the H together, wrap 40 feet of fishing line around it, and put some kind of weight on it (you can use sinkers, but I'm a cheapskate, I just use scrap stuff that I have around).

Post Thanks / Like

Got a 3 pack and rack from BPS for 18$.

Post Thanks / Like

Default here's what I made up...

work slick and with cordless can reel 'em back in too.

Life has many choices, eternity has two...choose wisely.
    Unapplied biblical truth is like unapplied paint...how many gallons do you have sittin' around? U.D.

Post Thanks / Like

good looking job on the buoys'.
    Allatoona Bandit

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast