Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trailer Tire?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Trailer Tire?

Saturday I was on my way to the lake and had a blow out on my boat trailer. I have 13" radial tires and have only been able to get about 2 years max out of a set before having problems. I have had 2 sets of Carlisle radial trailer tires that got all out of shape and the last set of radials I am not sure of the name blew the entire cap off of it. They haven't been run low on air pressure and they don't set out in the weather. I am not sure if I should continue with radial tires or buy bias tires. Any one had this kind of experience?

I also posted this on the mechanic forum.

Thanks,

Michael

chaunc is offline 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I did a while back. Found out that my boat was too heavy for my trailer. It was a 16ft fiberglass on a teeny, tip up trailer. Had to put tires on it 3 times in less than 6 or 7 years.

Post Thanks / Like

I replaced the radial tires on my trailer with a 6 ply trailer tire. Have had them on the trailer going on three years now and they show hardly any wear at all.

I remember this topic coming up before on the boards. Seems like most people didn't recommend radial tires on a boat trailer.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a jon boat so the weight is not the issue and the radials are trailer tires not car tires. i am thinking going back to a bias tire might be better.

Thanks,

Michael

Post Thanks / Like

I will call you when I get to the house and let you know what came factory on mine. I can't remember if they are bias or radial but they are Carlisle tires. Not that I have had it long enough that I should be having tire problems yet (fingers crossed). I did check them last week to see if they had started checking yet and they had not.

Post Thanks / Like

I think I'd want to take the boat and trailer across a set of scales to find out the rigged weight. That way you can be sure your tires can handle the load.

The other thing to look at is your rims. If they have any issues with the bead seating surface, a little sideways force on the trailer could cause a fast leak, then your tire is flat before you even know it and it's going to overheat and blow apart.

Post Thanks / Like

Is the trailer tracking straight behind your tow vehicle? Your axle on the trailer may out of alignment causing tire wear.

PB Wht. Crappie 2.48 lbs 02-12-2011

Post Thanks / Like

there is no tire wear, crackin, or anything that looks out of the ordinary. I checked the air pressure on Friday and looked at the tires, which looked like they did the day I bought them. The boat sets in a garage out of the weather. I pull it nearly every weekend except during the winter months.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Trailer tire

I have found it is hard to find the correct tire pressures. The pressures listed on the tires is not always right, it is a "guide line" for the specific tire. Trailer tires are a must, my opinion. If you have a blow out and it involves other vehicles, you may be in a litigous situation. I called the manufacturer of my trailer(which may be different) than the boat manufactor to find the correct tire pressure. If you think it is not important, research Ford 's problem with tire pressures on Explorers.

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Some friends used to put car radials on the ski boat trailer. They also carried 2 spares. I thought that spoke pretty loud, they just opened another beer.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast