Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Catching Spawning Males?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Catching Spawning Males?

Just curious as to what water temp. that most folks get in on the dark males making the nests? I read where they said when the water temp is 58 at 8 foot deep the males are on the banks.
    CATCH A BIG-UN

Post Thanks / Like

my home lake is a stained to dirty water lake. when main lake hits 55 degrees i go up the river and start looking. sometimes it pays sometimes its doesnt but i use it for a starting point. this is when they first come in. usually the bank full of black males will come a week or two later. alot of times at first you will get big males and big females just not buckets full.
    ITS LIKE BASEBALL PITCHIN,HITTIN,CATCHIN

Post Thanks / Like

It depends on the water clarity as to the depth they spawn, I have been catching males and females in 2-4 ft. stained water here in north ga. water temp in the mid 40s on the north side of a cove that runs east to west and has rocky bottom and banks.
    Allatoona Bandit

Post Thanks / Like

if you get rains during the time they should normally be on the banks, it generally cools the water back down a little too. Back off into deeper water some and you will generally find them staging there.

Post Thanks / Like

The water temp here is 60 and I have been catching a few light colored males in 3-10' of water and when I put them on the stringer they turn jet black. I think it needs to get warmer before they are dark when you catch them.
    I live for the thump!