Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: I Hate Bass Fishing Contests

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs down I Hate Bass Fishing Contests

Well as luck would have it my two days off this week were fri. & sat. and other than wind the weather was fishable, but cover was available. Woudn't you know they would have a bass tourney this week, and all those #&%# with there high powered boats running back and forth making a new wake about every 30 seconds causing my rods to bounce all over the place, and if that wasn't bad enough, they are rude to the max. They can see me spider riggin along a cliff face, but speed up to cut me off so they can fish the ledge ahead of me, and not just one boat but several all morning. I believe crappie fisherman are a better breed. I didn't want to give up and go home so I moved to a spot off the main channel, late in the day, and found some before the light was gone. Ended up with 14 crappie, 3 yellow bass, 1 white bass and 1 striped bass about 5lbs. Had a good end to an otherwise crummy day.
    Waterboy1

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by waterboy1 View Post
    Well as luck would have it my two days off this week were fri. & sat. and other than wind the weather was fishable, but cover was available. Woudn't you know they would have a bass tourney this week, and all those #&%# with there high powered boats running back and forth making a new wake about every 30 seconds causing my rods to bounce all over the place, and if that wasn't bad enough, they are rude to the max. They can see me spider riggin along a cliff face, but speed up to cut me off so they can fish the ledge ahead of me, and not just one boat but several all morning. I believe crappie fisherman are a better breed. I didn't want to give up and go home so I moved to a spot off the main channel, late in the day, and found some before the light was gone. Ended up with 14 crappie, 3 yellow bass, 1 white bass and 1 striped bass about 5lbs. Had a good end to an otherwise crummy day.
    Yea man I feel your pain they start that crap about this time every year down here and it goes on and on every weekend, even at night until cold weather gets here again.
    So last year I started carrying a spinning rig with a large crankbait on it when they get too close I start casting in the direction to croos their line. It don't take long for them to leave :D
    Alan
    ------------------
    Tight Lines to all
    Roll Tide Roll

Post Thanks / Like

Cool Check the boating regs.

In Ky. the boating guide states that when you pass or meet another boat actively engaged in fishing you must pass at no wake speed. This is not enforced where I fish either. All you need to do is get the lic. # of the boat, keep a cell phone with law enforcment's # handy, and make a call.

A few year ago I had one of those throttle jockys throw my 8 year old grandson out of the seat & darn near in the lake. I am a towboat pilot and the law on any water way is... you are responsible for your wake. Period!!! It is not a state or local reg., it's a federal reg.

Squeeky wheel gets the grease!
    Crappie Stomper Guide Service
    Crappie Fish'n With Attitude!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/crappiestomper
    ACC Crappie Stix Pro Staff
    Corn Field Crappie Gear Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

I graduated bass school around age 12 and never looked back except for smallies. Some of the tournament guys are still being held back. I've had them pull up to a boat canopy I was fishing under and throw right on top of my bobber. Never even say hello or look you in the eye. Like your not even there. That's why I never join any crappie tournies. I'm afraid my love for the sport will change to greed.

Post Thanks / Like

I know what you mean, I got caught coming out of a no wake zone by a bunch of'em and before I could get any speed I was washed into the rocks and had to just stay there until they all passed. got a big ding in my prop for the trouble.
    smiles are contagious, spread them around
    Proud Member of the ZIPPER Club
    & Team Geezer

Post Thanks / Like

Fished Lake Ontario one time when a bass tourney was going on get a shot with your cell phone or camera and the license number of the boat and report it to the tournament organizers, plus a game warden is usually posted with there.

Not only do they get fined but there days catch is voided if not the entire tournament.

It pays to report them. Hurt their wallets and maybe they'll wake up. I won't call all of them idiots cause their not. Most of the guys are pretty good.

Fatman

hawkman is offline Crappie.com 1K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

We got back to the ramp yesterday & they had us blocked in, front & back. Can't be sure they were bass boys but ... Finally able to unhook the trailer & push it out, uphill, then maneuver the truck out. Another 18 inches & we would have been stuck there. Where we were is not marked off with lines but there was plenty of other places to park.
    Crappie fishing is my lighthouse of sanity in an insane world,
    It keeps me from crashing on the rocky shores of everyday life.
    Crappie.com is my beacon of light!

Post Thanks / Like

Not only the bass tourney guys but the muskie tourneys and crappie tourneys are like that also. Someone forgot to send me the memo about they're right to fish my spot because they are in some tourney.

Do what I do, once they settle down and start to fish jump ahead of them and slowly troll back (make sure you go around in circles reving the motor) and forth and mumble something like "Who the H--l moved my brush pile." They'll be there a while looking for the imaginary pile.

I was watching one of those bass shows during the winter and the guy in the tourney was mad because 2 guys moved onto "HIS" spot and were catching and keeping fish. He kept yelling at them he wanted to fish that spot and they just ignored em.

Post Thanks / Like

Yea had a couple of them pros on Old Hickory today came in hot in a cove we were in made a pretty good wake so on the way out just returned the favor and went to the next spot.
    HERE FISHY FISHY

Post Thanks / Like

It's not bass guys that are the problem. It tournament people that are the problem. I have got to know some great people that fish bass, catfish, crappie, or whatever. These guys are not the problem. It those tournament guys that get crazy and have no respect for anything else. No matter what the tournament is.
    Sometimes You're the Windshield... Sometimes You're the Bug!

Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast