PDA

View Full Version : My first attempt at spider rigging a resounding success

Quackrstackr
03-07-2009, 09:03 PM
I built my own spider rig, bent my own rod holders and picked up most of my knowledge of the technique by reading this forum and picking some old and new buddies' brains... but it paid off.

I figured there was nothing like a trial by fire for all of the equipment and my newfound knowledge so I set out for KY Lake in this afternoon's 25 mph winds.

I'm pretty happy.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v688/quackrstackr/100_0014.jpg

I'm not sure what the one in my left hand weighs, but she's a hoss.

pab1981
03-07-2009, 09:09 PM
Nice catch, I wasn't brave enough get out in the wind. Hoping I can get free Monday and try them myself.

dedawg1149
03-07-2009, 09:25 PM
nice catch ,looks like you did your homework

slabbandit
03-07-2009, 09:28 PM
Nice slabs!:)

LYNYRD
03-07-2009, 09:38 PM
I am glad to hear that your efforts paid off. I too am fairly new to the world of spideriggin. I probably wouldn't havent even attempted it had it not been for the wealth of knowledge on this forum. I built my own holders ,first for a fiberglass boat and then moved to a large aluminum and doubled the amount of rods I could run at a given time on the front.
I have been doing it about 5 years and have not had any information on the subject other than this site. I don't know any one personnaly in my area that I could go with and learn. But I have had some success and keep reading and researching the issue and love it when people tell in great detail on how they have been fishing this way.
I love casting for them with a float but I have realized the potential to beat the crowds and still hit the stake beds when its right yet , be able to fish here ( Ky.Lake) way up in the summer , or until it gets to dern hot to stay out there long.
Thanks for your post and I would appreciate updates on how you are catching them and what you knowledge you pick-up doing it. It just might pertain to me in my area. I know I would appreciate the help because I dont have anyone but guys like yall to get ideas from .

I thank everyone for their help , I love to read yalls indepth post. It has made me a better fisherman and I have more understanding on the subject just do to the time all of yall give to help people such as my self . A big thanks and kudos to the site facilitators.

Fatman
03-07-2009, 10:19 PM
Nice crappies

Fatman

ky-slabseeker
03-07-2009, 10:29 PM
I built my own spider rig, bent my own rod holders and picked up most of my knowledge of the technique by reading this forum and picking some old and new buddies' brains... but it paid off.

I figured there was nothing like a trial by fire for all of the equipment and my newfound knowledge so I set out for KY Lake in this afternoon's 25 mph winds.

I'm pretty happy.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v688/quackrstackr/100_0014.jpg

I'm not sure what the one in my left hand weighs, but she's a hoss.

You kinda remind me of a mean ol moderator from another forum :rolleyes:

Quackrstackr
03-07-2009, 10:56 PM

You know, you're not the first person to tell me that. He must be a good lookin' guy. ;)

M R Dux
03-07-2009, 11:06 PM
Looks like you done good! With the time change, you should be stocking the freezer with something other than flatheads every afternoon.

blueball
03-07-2009, 11:23 PM
yeah nice catch

CrappieKidd
03-07-2009, 11:31 PM
Congratulations Looks like you had fun. Here is my first fish and only fish with new spider rig.
http://web.comporium.net/~mringler/Pics/Image012.jpg

So I did this. Love this Spider rigging stuff. :D

http://web.comporium.net/~mringler/Pics/Image013.jpg

waterboy1
03-08-2009, 07:55 AM
That front rod looks bent clean in half, you might have had two.

catman
03-08-2009, 07:58 AM
those are dandies, nice catch.

mepperson
03-08-2009, 08:45 AM

He's everywhere! Nice catch Tim. I'll be out there next weekend if the weather permits. Was that in Blood River?

thankfull
03-08-2009, 08:56 AM
Nice looking fish I wish I could get up there and get in on the action.

ad1974
03-08-2009, 09:05 AM
Nice catch.

Il Duckshewter
03-08-2009, 09:13 AM
Sweet fish! I to have learned from the trial by fire method. Tough to do any spider rigging up here in IL, but I do quite a bit of it when I head to MS. I watched a local several years ago pick his way through the trees, and consistently pick up fish while others were wasting time. He would run 4-5 poles straight out the front, and work back and forth through the trees all day. Took me one trip to figure out what I was missing!!! Now, I go out and fish brush piles during the early morning and evening bite, and when it slows down I start spider rigging. Keeps me on the water and covering new area when everyone else heads in for lunch!!!!

Wiskers
03-08-2009, 09:21 AM
When you catch your first crappie spider rig'n or try'n a new technique it's like when your lab pup make it's first retreive ani't it! :D Don't be afraid to experiment with new ideas.

Quackrstackr
03-08-2009, 09:27 AM
That is a pretty good comparison, Wiskers.

Thanks for the congrats, guys.

I managed to get the line for the drift sock tangled in my rear transducer yesterday and snapped it when I raised the motor. I've got to find another and get it mounted before I can hit it again.

Wiskers
03-08-2009, 09:32 AM
That is a pretty good comparison, Wiskers.

Thanks for the congrats, guys.

I managed to get the line for the drift sock tangled in my rear transducer yesterday and snapped it when I raised the motor. I've got to find another and get it mounted before I can hit it again.

Did it break the mount or the transducer? What kinda unit is it? I might have 1 lay'n around that can get ya by for a few days.

Quackrstackr
03-08-2009, 10:03 AM
It's just an Eagle 242 on the console. It broke the part of the transducer that the bolt runs through to attach it to the mount.

I glued and clamped it together last night and it looks like it may hold for a while. I need to get my hands on another, though.

I appreciate the offer.

I suppose I need to call Gander Mountain to see if they carry just the transducer. I'm not sure who else around here carries Eagle units.

Wiskers
03-08-2009, 10:14 AM
Call Gmeni electronics at 270-898-6018. Skip might answer. They might have new or good used one laying around. Also try Echo electronic. I think he's still in business but I couldn't find the #. He works on all kinds of stuff like troll'n motors, depth finders... You name it.

Quackrstackr
03-08-2009, 11:06 AM
Thanks. I was going to call those guys and see what they might have around.

I just got back in from doing a little bit of MacGyver engineering on it. The glue job from last night looked like it would be fine but after I wrapped it with some stainless wire... that thing is stronger now than it was from the factory. I may still call and find a potential backup in case my fix doesn't hold up.

M R Dux
03-08-2009, 12:22 PM
Echo Electronics 442-7673

They worked on my MinnKota Maxxum TM last summer and I thought they had made a mistake when he handed me the bill. It was WAYYYYY less than I ever expected. Great folks to deal with! Give me a call if you need directions or need me to pick something up.

STUMP HUNTER
03-08-2009, 12:59 PM
Congrats on your catch. You are hooked for life now!:):)

yankee doodler
03-08-2009, 03:19 PM
and it turns out that good! Nice catch.

Twobrokefarmer
03-08-2009, 04:04 PM
Glad to hear of your success. My first try at spider rigging was this past weekend also and it was a pretty good success also. At least enough to give it a try again.

fin_n_feather
03-09-2009, 12:30 PM
Way to go!! Nice fish.

CrappieWhisperer
03-09-2009, 07:56 PM
Sweet slabs..... don't you just love it when a plan comes together. :)

foul hook
03-14-2009, 08:07 PM
Aint nothing for a big DAWG! Nice fish.

Arkie John
03-15-2009, 12:14 AM
Man, you SHOULD be happy. Those are absolutely BEAUTIFUL specimens.

The extent of my "spider rigging is two 14' rods, port and starboard, obliquing to the front...and maybe two regular ultralites elsewhere. Even THAT is too much for me to handle when I'm driftin' through a good school (or an unknown brushtop) lol.

aj

Quackrstackr
03-15-2009, 07:35 AM
Thanks, guys.

My second outing netted (pun intended) even better results. 17 keepers and close to that many short fish. I'm headed back out in a bit after this fog burns off.

Being new at this, it is really surprising to me just how strong the preference for one or two particular colors at any given time is. I try a variety and you can tell exactly what they want pretty quickly when you get into them. That one or two colors will be on fire and other colors within 3 feet won't even get so much as a bump. It really makes me wonder how many days the fish weren't biting or I was just throwing the wrong color all of these years of casting for them.

WhitePerchJerker
03-15-2009, 08:54 AM
Way to go! Shoot us a pic of your rig

bc1448
03-16-2009, 06:26 PM
Nice slabs! Congrats on the fish and your success with the new technique!!!
Blake