Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Electric filet knife

Post Thanks / Like

Default Electric filet knife

Looking to get another electric filet knife. I would like to know what you guys that clean alot of fish use and reccomend.

Post Thanks / Like

I use the "American Angler" I think it is called -110 V from W-mart.
    I have two, the first one was getting so many hours on it, I bought
    the second one and keep the old one for a backup - still works fine
    after close to 10 years. Had a Mister Twister brand before, and it
    stripped the gears in it the first time I used it. It was on a big bass,
    but my other ones have cleaned plenty that big or bigger.
    Last edited by J White; 07-18-2005 at 11:07 AM.
    Shoals Area Crappie Association

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gooch
    Looking to get another electric filet knife. I would like to know what you guys that clean alot of fish use and reccomend.
    gooch, I use an "American Angler" 12 volt knife that I've used for over 10 years and have had no trouble with it. The only thing I don't like is the curved blade. When the blade is at the correct angle to fillet, you will lose a bit of meat either at the top of the fish or at the bottom. I have a straight blade 120 volt that is a simple kitchen knife and no similar problems there.

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by J White
    I use the "American Angler" I think it is called -110 V from W-mart.
    I have two, the first one was getting so many hours on it, I bought
    the second one and keep the old one for a backup - still works fine
    after close to 10 years. Had a Mister Twister brand before, and it
    stripped the gears in it the first time I used it. It was on a big bass,
    but my other ones have cleaned plenty that big or bigger.
    Interesting. I've got a Mr Twister I've had for years and no problems. I've even used it on some big salt water fish. My buddy has on of those 12v jobs, I can't remember the brand but it sure works good.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Billbob is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2013 Guber Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

blakemore will take a beating and keep on going have 12 volt and 120 volt
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER

Crappie.com Pro Staff
    Guber Pro Staff
    Cane Pole Pro Staff
    Haulin Ash Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

I've got a American angler 110 ac does a great job. 7 or 8 yrs old.

Post Thanks / Like

I've had 3 different ones know,the American Angler,Mister Twister (green/yellow one) and know have the Mister Twister Piranha.You can see the Piranha here .I got to try out the new Rapala on Sun. and it's nice and light but it's lacking on power.So far the Piranha by far out powers the rest and it's blades are very wicked.They have tiny teeth in between the big teeth unlike the others.
    :D Give a man a crappie you feed him for a day...teach a man to fish for crappie and get rid of him for the weekend!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I've been using the American Angler 12-volt electric fillet knives for years and they work well - most of the time. Recently I purchased a replacement blade and then a new knife and neither one of them would cut right. Upon close examination of the blades I found that they were ground wrong - the tips of the teeth did not come together. One blade had shorter teeth and on the other blade the inside was ground into a curve towards the tips of the teeth, away from the other blade.

Another issue we've run into with replacement blades is some were made with too small of a hole and a round hole instead of oblong where they lock into the handle so they don't stay locked in.

I contacted the manufacturer – Douglas Quikut – and they are aware of the problems and their suppliers (in China) are supposed have corrected them. The representative I talked to said she thought she could get some blades for me that they make here but when I called her today she said they were currently out of them and wouldn’t be making any more anytime soon. They only make them here when they have a problem getting them from their suppliers.

So, if you get an American Angler from Walmart (or a replacement blade) make sure the hole in the blade where it locks into the motor is oblong and not round and try to see if the tips of the blades come together. If you get one that the blades pop out while your using it or just won’t cut then you’ll have to exchange it.

I personally prefer the curved blade because it is pointed at the end, which makes it easier to make the turn from the first cut down to the spine to the cut along the spine. I don’t have any trouble with leaving meat on the skin. I think that may be caused by too much downward pressure causing the blade to curve to the side, which will leave meat near the bottom of the cut.
    FISH ON!
    Jerry Blake

www.BLAKETOURS.com

Post Thanks / Like

Default Electric knives

I have the Rapala ac-dc Elec. knife. It has 2 different size blades and works great for me. I have only been using it for a year and had the switch stick on and had it replaced about 2 months ago from Wally World. I like it very much and would probably re- place it with another one like it. It comes with a carrying case and a cleaning board attached to the case.
    DO-GOODER EXTRADINAR :p

Post Thanks / Like

Default curious

Quote Originally Posted by IBNFSHN
    Interesting. I've got a Mr Twister I've had for years and no problems. I've even used it on some big salt water fish. My buddy has on of those 12v jobs, I can't remember the brand but it sure works good.
    Just wondering - do you cut through the rib bones like I do? I cut down
    to the backbone right behind the head, then turn 90 degrees and go down
    it, cutting ribs as I go. Maybe mine failed because being new, it was so
    sharp and I was bearing down on it too hard and it kind of "caught" and
    snatched the gears out - or maybe I just got a bad example.
    Shoals Area Crappie Association

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast