Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: baitcast or spinning?

Post Thanks / Like

Default baitcast or spinning?

Coming from a bass/ catfishing background i've use tradional baitcasters the most. are the suitable for jig rods spiderrigging? I've got an extra Abu Garcia Black Max 3600 that I'm thinking about using. Should I find another baitcaster or get spinning reels for the 2 new rods coming?

Thanks guys
    Josh

CrappiePappy is online now Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Wink Imho ....

If you're only going to be using these reels, on rods that will always be in a rod holder, then most any decent baitcaster will work fine.
    The only time I'd consider spinning only, is when the outfit will be used for casting, or when always held in hand methods are used.

Now, with that said ... if you have two new rods coming, you'd be better served to put the proper matching type of reel on them, according to whether they're spinning or baitcasting rods.

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

I'm stuck on spinning. Give me a bait cast and I turn the darn thing the wrong way! :D I do agree with CP tho... if it is just sitting there in holder, reel is no big deal. I do like the ratio a spin gives you as well. - AF

Post Thanks / Like

thier 12' jig poles. what is the correct type of reel to put on em.

CrappiePappy is online now Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Wink Depends ....

Quote Originally Posted by embalmer883 View Post
    thier 12' jig poles. what is the correct type of reel to put on em.

.... on what size guides they have, and the type of reel seat they have.

Spinning rods, or rods made for spinning reels, will have guides that are large close to the handle, and taper significantly down in size as you get to the tip. Baitcasting rods have much smaller guides, all along the rod blank, and only taper down in very small measures. The reel seat, on baitcasting rods, is almost always fixed and part of the handle. Spinning rod reel seats can be fixed, or they can be movable ... as on a "Tenn handle" (solid cork or graphite handle, with slip rings attached).

What brand/model "12' jig poles" are they ? We can look them up and easily see which type reel would be appropriate.

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

I am buying these HT the telescopic ones.

Post Thanks / Like

Question The Shooting Star telescopic

... if so, they appear to be a spinning reel type of rod. They would/could work with a baitcast reel, or even a spincast reel, but appear to be designed for a spinning reel. (the guides appear to taper from fairly large, down to a small tip eye)
    Best thing you can do, since you've already ordered the rods (as I assume you have already done), is to wait until they arrive and then put a baitcast reel on one. See how it feels, how it fits your grip, how heavy it is, how cumbersome it is to handle, & how it fits in your rod holders. Then put a spinning reel on, and compare that to the same criteria. Having done that, it should become obvious to you, which one is best suited for the rods and the methods you intend to use them for

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

I put an egg beater on my dock poles but the others all get bait casters. We fish vertical 95% of the time with 8-10' rods.
    Jerry

Post Thanks / Like

I just bought 4 of those to spider rig with. I put a couple of my old Ryobi Mini Mag baitcasters on 2 of them and a couple of the BPS/Wally Marshall underspins on the other 2. I haven't gotten to try them out yet so I do not know which will work out better.

The rods do have spinning rod type eyes but they are more of a hybrid size betweeen true spinning and casting.

Post Thanks / Like

embalmer, you and I have a similar backgroud, except that I'm way to cooth to admit I once fished for catfish.......on purpose.

That said, I went the baitcaster approach for the following reasons:

1) Makes it very easy to adjust for depth.

2) Typically, a cheap baitcaster will have an exponentially better drag than a cheap spinning or underspin.

3) Storage is much simpler with a baitcaster in that the reel and line is closer to the rod and less prone to tangle up than an underspin or a spinning reel if you lay your rods in a pile to move. I don't break mine down and end up with a heaping pile of them in the boat when I'm fishing more than one.

4) Line twist and memory (coils) are reduced with the baitcaster. Actually, not reduced, but the baitcaster doesnt care about twist.

5) Release. This is another storage deal, when runnign with a pile of rods, the underspins can get banged around enough to trip the release more easily than the baitcaster. Same is true of the spinning compared to the baitcaster in that it's easier for the line to get released or slack in the storage of them.

I've got a bunch of brands or rods and multiple reel brands as well. The eye size or type really doesn't matter to me in the least since I'm trolling with them in holders and would not use them to cast. If casting is a concern, then I'd go with a spinning reel and make sure the rods have spinning eyes for distance reasons. For jigging in cover, I use basically the same rods with the lightest reel I can get, actually an Ice reel from Hi-Tek similar to the B&M Plastic job.

Wannabe...
    Wannabe...v2.0
    A lot like the old Wannabe... except with fewer bad words. And Karate chop action. But, yes, still purtier than you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast