Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Your Best Approach to Cold, Muddy Water

Post Thanks / Like

Question Your Best Approach to Cold, Muddy Water

Other than waiting for the water to warm and to clear up, what works best for you in getting them to bite in cold and muddy water? Any successful strategies out there?

CR
    You don't know if you don't go.

Post Thanks / Like

Fish slow, add minnows to jigs, dark colors. Works best for me, i will try and prove that theory on Sat
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer

Post Thanks / Like

we have fished all winter...and it been great. we did get ice for 4 weekends but that aside...fishing was better before the ice water temp ran 36-45F...after the ice, water temps ran 34-39F...we watched the temp close to find the warmer water it was all ways in the muddy water that being in water between 5' to 10ft deep and the crappie were there... hanging around 3'-5ft...this water was close to creek in the 12'-15ft range...
    J.I.L. <*)}}}><

Post Thanks / Like

Re-reading Crappie by In-fisherman getting ready for spring Whenever it decides to show up and they say S-L-O-W and use minnows but try whatever, and use the ol fishfinder to help out.

Fatman

Post Thanks / Like

The slower the better. I also do good on smaller profile jigs in dark colors when the water gets cold.
    I live for the thump!

Post Thanks / Like

We are lucky to have 4-5 lakes in the area. Usually the rain isn't even and that means one of the lakes will be ok to fish. If you have to fish one lake, remember the muddy water comes in the river and spreads to the lake. fish the lower end until it gets muddy and by then, the upper end will start to clear. all black or black/chartreuse shows up the best and using a minnow is not a bad idea either. some big coves don't have creeks running into them and they won't get as bad. run until you find the clearest water and use crappie nibbles to get a scent cloud. try to mark fish with your DF and hold it still at the level the fish are showing. crappie will try to hold near a piece of cover to use as a point of reference. that being said,,,,,Grenada in Miss. is the only exception I know,,,ignore the water color and just fish.

Post Thanks / Like

Fishing on the Mississippi River where water clarity rivals the eyesight of a flying rodent even on the best of days - PINK & PURPLE are the colors where I start jig fishing for crappie. Fishing slow is a must. Tipping with a little meat yields results one day but not the next. Fishing in real tight on cover can also be a big factor. With so many predators lurking for a shish kabob ole papermouths can be a hesistant to venture to far from cover when the water is at lower temps.
    Cuz that's what the Bos says...