Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: just another dumb rod question

Post Thanks / Like

Default just another dumb rod question

I was just wondering how much of a difference a "dedicated" crappie rod really makes, over and above like shakespheares agility ,or micro lite rods ? Last year I took a small plunge and bought a 7' micro lite spinning reel from wallyworld and fell in love with it..... it ran me a whoppin' 16.98 plus tax. Granted, it was the first new rod I bought in over 10 yrs, so maybe Im easliy impressed or maybe Im just cheap I really dont want to drop 40 plus bucks on something that aint that much better with casting, light-weight, and/or sensitivity. OR ...something that needs new tips every so often (my old 6' berkleys never needed these)Anyone with any thoughts on this, lemme know.... ps I have thick skin, so dont spare my feelings

Post Thanks / Like

you pick up a outlaw,ozark,huckabee or somthing along them line then pick up the shakespheare and its going to feel like a stiff log....spend the money because its well worth it
    Bluff City Tackle Pro Staff
    Touranment Ice & Minnow Ice
    Culprit Pro Staff
    Outlaw Crappie & Walleye Poles Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

For casting jigs (which is the only way I fish for crappie), I think Loomis and St. Croix make the best rods. They're not cheap, though.

On the other hand, I have some pretty inexpensive rods that work just fine. One of my favorite UL rods is a $25 Quantum I bought years ago. It has the most unique action I've ever seen in a UL rod. I wish I'd bought three more!

Bottom line: get the best rod you can afford.

Post Thanks / Like

I mainly cast and retrieve when I go fish for crappie, been doing it for years. I would throw 1/8 oz to 1/4 oz jigs depending on the wind speed. But yeah, I own a St. Croix myself, took me a while to realize how well they are made for this type of fishing, since I cast and retrieve and work my jig in deep water around 40 ft or more, so a good sensitivity rod is a must. St. Croix is not cheap, but you can always start out with a Falcon rod or other American made rod, just make sure the lure weight on the rod is 1/8 - 3/8 oz or watever.

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Wink It only makes a difference ...

... if it makes a difference to you
    If you're happy/satisfied with a broomstick for a rod and a coke bottle wrapped with line, for a reel ... and they work for you ... then you're good to go !!
    Sensitivity isn't always necessary in a rod, unless you're trying to "feel" the bite. If you're a line watcher, you'll "see" more bites than you'll feel (when casting/retrieving). I'm one of those "jig slingers", about 95% of the time, and use a variety of lengths/strengths/compositions of rods ... and they're all spooled with hi-vis line, so I can see the bite happen, whether I feel it or not. Actually, I'd rather see it than feel it .... LOL, yeah I know, that may sound like blasphemy to those that live for the "thump" :p ... but, I see the thump, and the fish don't feel me or the rod. I can only imagine the surprise in the tiny little minds of those fish, when I set the hook :D

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

I for one look for any advantages I can get. Sight fishing is great but adding feel to your skill set can be a big difference maker.

For jig fishing in closer proximity to the boat once river water temps drop into the 50's I go to a 5' ultralight Fish Eagle II with a St. Croix light action spring bobber added. Perfect for 1/32 oz jigs tipped with plastics OR ice fishing jigs.
    Cuz that's what the Bos says...

Post Thanks / Like

Get the best rod you can afford and what you have the most confidence in. If you have a $20 rod because that what you can afford and you done your homework and feel confident using the rod, then I bet you will catch fish.
    Sometimes You're the Windshield... Sometimes You're the Bug!

Post Thanks / Like

Your rod will make a huge difference unless you're an expert line watcher. I am always looking for any advantage.

I fish with and love All Star, Ozark Rods and Pro Angler rods. I use them for different things - dipping, casting, etc...

I've had several people in my boat in times past when we were sitting on top of a brush pile and I've caught fish and they didn't. They couldn't figure it out and then I put one of my rods in their hand and boom they start catching. At that point they are ready to throw their rod in the lake and keep mine!

Good luck on your search.

Brad
    Can You Find, "LIMITVILLE!!!" :D

Post Thanks / Like

I don't cast for crappie but use a 10-foot BnM UltraLite for pitching jigs. I definitely think the rod makes a difference. When you use one every day, all day like I do you begin to see the advantages of a good, quality pole. I'm often asked what would be the number one key to catching more crappie. I always answer, "master the light bite" and the pole/rod is a big part of that.
    Quit Wish'in and Let's Go Fish'in
    Darryl Morris

FAMILY FISHING TRIPS GUIDE SERVICE
    501-844-5418 --- [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

Default It a matter of preference.

Everyone can catch fish when the lure gets hammered by the fish. But it the subtle bites that make a difference in rod sensitivity. When you can feel the jig being sucked in by the fish, then that's a sensitive rod. I've found that a quality built rod offers these differences. Also, if you watch closeouts and sales, you can get a expensive rod for around half price. I fish the Cabelas Fisheagle II solely, and they have them on sale at least three times a year for at least half off retail pricing. Great rods and highly recommended. Just my .02. Good luck in your future rod purchases. Rollcaster.....................
    Amateur Chaser of Those Thump Thumps to
    Raise Those Hand Kandys!

IG: Krappie Krane

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast