Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Rosey Reds

Post Thanks / Like

Default Rosey Reds

Can anyone tell me where i can get some of these. Im going to build a little pond out of one of those 5' wide kiddie pools. Does anyone have any info on keeping them?

Post Thanks / Like

you could try aquabid.com they have all kinds of fish, i have never heard of those though

Post Thanks / Like

Im surprised not many people know about these minnows considering there nickname is the crappie minnow.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Here's all the info you need about Rosies

http://www.fishpondinfo.com/rosies.htm

I don't know that a kiddie pool is deep enough to keep the water within the comfort range for temperature, but this website should answer any questions you have. You will need some sort of recirculator to keep the water oxygenated.

We can buy them at Persmart and two other aquarium shops in the area (Ohio- Indiana) as feeder fish, but they're too small to use for bait. Be sure they are rosies and not goldfish, as some vendors are a little loose with the names they put on feeders. None of the baitshops in the area sell them. - Roberta
    "Anglers are born honest,
    but they get over it." - Ed Zern

Post Thanks / Like

Those may be classed as a foreign species and not importable into WA state. Also it wouldn't be wise to try and use them for bait.

Post Thanks / Like

Rosey reds are just a genetic color variation of the fathead minnow. If those are native to your area, he's probably okay; but if not, you have made a good point. Fatheads are a native species here. - Roberta
    "Anglers are born honest,
    but they get over it." - Ed Zern

Post Thanks / Like

Im not planning on using them as bait. I keep native fish in aquariums an im going to use them to feed them. I choose rosey reds because they are the easiest to breed. You can put 100 of them in a pond and 3 months later there will be more than 1000.

Post Thanks / Like

Ahhhh.... I understand. Good planning. Good luck with your project.

Reason I made the bait comment is I've been thinking of using a minnow trap in eastern WA.... killing the minnows I caught and using them for bait. I thought you might have an idea of using these for bait.