Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: So whats trolling like around the nation?

Post Thanks / Like

Default So whats trolling like around the nation?

I uploaded a video to show how we roll out west when the bite is on fire. This was taken last Saturday on San Carlos where just about each boat out has been limiting for the past 6 weeks. Most fish are in the 2 pound range and in this video there are 197 boats all trolling or slow jigging on the same school of crappie. If these were all bass fishermen there would be fist fights breaking out all the time but I have never seen anyone crappie fishing get worked up over someone being too close. We are allowed two poles per fisherman (for an extra charge) and each line can have two hooks or lures. We only have limits on lakes owned by the Indian Tribes of 25 fish in possession, so for the most part there are no limits. Most trolling is done at 1 mile per hour or less.

Is this typical for other lakes around the country?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l2LbhexGLqc
    Last edited by Jumping Cholla Jigs; 03-02-2009 at 11:41 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

man,i have never seen nothing like that. parking at the ramp must be huge.

Post Thanks / Like

Well we have the Chicken Coop that is pretty famous all across the country, but I don't go there as too many boats. At least more than I want to deal with and it's only during the coldest temps that it's good. All of them fishing 40' down. Never wanted to be able to walk from boat to boat, LOL!

I troll much like the speed you do and range from 0.7 to 1.2 MPH. Last few time trolling 6'-9' of water where they seem to be staged.

Oh and the Coop is probably 30-40 miles North of me as this lake is about 70 miles long.

Skip

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

Post Thanks / Like

even if there was an average of just 150 of those boats a day for 6 weeks and keeping a limit of just 25 fish, thats over 150,000 fish. Dont think the population will hold up long at that rate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by confederate View Post
    man,i have never seen nothing like that. parking at the ramp must be huge.
    The ramp isn't too bad but when the school really tightens up things can get entertaining to say the least.

Post Thanks / Like

I've seen lake kissimmee about like that but not all out for crappie. Down in Florida I like trolling 4 rods of the back with 3 in a pseudo-spider at the front at any where from .5 mph up to almost 1.75 mph. (a bit quick but it causes a little more turbulence that they seem to like)
    I aint here to tell you anything. You want to know what Im doing....pm me and meet me on the lake.

Post Thanks / Like

That's how it looks at Weiss Lake in Alabama when the bite is on.
    get d net <*((((((>{ PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER

Post Thanks / Like

That's alot of boats,but if they are limiting out with fish averaging 2 lbs per than it's no wonder it's packed.

Post Thanks / Like

Looks like a typical week day around here even when the fish aren't biting. don't go on the weekends too many people fishing and too many water skiers in the same spot. If that was my lake the water skiers would be going in out of those boats using them for a slalom run.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Good Grief Charlie Brown!

That is a lot of boats!! In SW Virginia we or should I say I fish in skinny rivers along swamps. So it is black water guts going into primordial forrest where if you should fall out of the boat you would never be seen again. If I ever saw more than 5 boats fishing I would freak. We have lakes but I am just thinking about going to them. That video changes my mind.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast