Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: help on fathead minnows and rosiey reds

Billbob is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2013 Guber Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default help on fathead minnows and rosiey reds

this spring put 42# in a new pond all ready to spawn i was told they would spawn about 4 times a year will the first spawn spawn this year or next and what weght groth can i tnink of 42# this year how meny # next spring pond is not stocked with fish will do that in spring after good food chain in small pond thanks
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER

Crappie.com Pro Staff
    Guber Pro Staff
    Cane Pole Pro Staff
    Haulin Ash Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

How many acres is your pond? Fatheads probably won't make it until next year. They are strictly food fish and if they live long enough they will never be any size. As far as spawning, they should reproduce this year if they are not eaten first. They will spawn multiple times a year if they survive. Do you have a lot of preditor fish? If you don't that will increase the fatheads chance for survival.

Billbob is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2013 Guber Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

1/2 acre pond with no preditor fish

Crappie.com Pro Staff
    Guber Pro Staff
    Cane Pole Pro Staff
    Haulin Ash Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

Default Check out this site

Here's a link that Ihope will work that should give you all the info you need.: http://www.fishpondinfo.com/rosies.htm

She has al lsorts of information on raising rosies in a pond or aquarium. Someone on the crappie board has mentioned that he raises them in a small pond, too .Maybe he'll see your post and help you out. - Roberta
    "Anglers are born honest,
    but they get over it." - Ed Zern

Post Thanks / Like

that is aaaaa great site thanks roberta

Crappie.com Pro Staff
    Guber Pro Staff
    Cane Pole Pro Staff
    Haulin Ash Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

howdy; you may not have put any other fish in your pond, however that doesn't mean that someone else hasen't. had a friend that built a pond in his backyard, asked me what type of fishesto stock it with. i told don't just wait to see what showes up. he looked at me as if i was crazy. i told him to wait and see. he had finished his pond in the later part of august. well the next spring, actualy, about the last part of june and first part of july he told me he had some small fish swimming around in his pond. and asked me how they had gotten there. i asked him if he had seen any cranes or ducks near or on the water of his pond that spring. he said yes and looked at me in a kind'a funney way, i told him that when the birds walk or swim in the shallowes they tend to pick up fish eggs on thier legs, feet and feathers. and the eggs will transfer to your pond so , just kick back and wait and see... tarfu
    Last edited by tarfu; 07-05-2005 at 08:02 AM. Reason: forgot to finish thought.

Post Thanks / Like

tarfu i know that happens it did on my first stock pond and the kids around here went to the creek but they swore they wont do it this time????

Crappie.com Pro Staff
    Guber Pro Staff
    Cane Pole Pro Staff
    Haulin Ash Pro Staff