Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Fished Wheeler this morning

David Waters is offline Moderator Shoals Area Crappie Association Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Fished Wheeler this morning

and it gave up no fish. It was the first time I have ever fished for crappie at Wheeler. We have our next tournament there in August and I wanted to learn a little bit about the lake. I found some outstanding brushpiles at 18' on the drops that I just new I would catch a fish on, but not today. I caught 2 catfish, a small bass, and snagged a bream when I trolled crankbaits for about 30 minutes. I fished second creek from the state park all the way to the main lake. Then rode over to first creek and fished around the bridge and the drops on the other side to no avail. Found some great stuff, if only some fish were on them. It will help me in March though, I am sure. The fish should be stacked on these spots on pre and post spawn.

It is very possible only a hand full of fish will be brought to the scales in the tournament in August. I just hope some of those fish are mine!!!!
    Last edited by David Waters; 06-28-2005 at 01:22 PM.
    Shoals Area Crappie Association

Post Thanks / Like

Dave,

Try Elk River next time. Alot of good crappie in there. From the mouth back to the bridge on 72 the channel is anywhere from 25-30 feet.

Also, there is a slough call Beulah Bay. Its where Swan Creek runs into the Tenn River (just upriver from the nuclear plant. Beulah holds plenty of 3 pounders.

Post Thanks / Like

where can i get a map of joe wheeler?

David Waters is offline Moderator Shoals Area Crappie Association Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I hae gone back twice and found a few fish in Spring creek. Plan to get back and fish Elk River next time. Try to have many spots I feel comfortable with before the tournament. Thanks for the help.

Post Thanks / Like

I think there is an old railroad bridge across there somewhere in that area, we use to catch some nice crappie on those columns, we also caught them around those big things the barges tie off too, I think these are in the river area though.

Post Thanks / Like

going to try and go this Saturday morning. WIll be very tired from a late night trip to Nashville, but will go around daylight and come home early. Gotta find some fish before the next tournament.