Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Need advice night fishing Logan Martin

Post Thanks / Like

Default Need advice night fishing Logan Martin

I have fished Logan Martin but never crappie fished there at night. I would like to take my teenage sons and try night fishing with minnows. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I usually put in at Lakeside Landing.

RogerA is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Night Fishing Logan Martin

Just out of Lakeside Landing in Cropwell Creek area is usually good. Just find a good place along the edge of the creek channel, some type of cover nearby would be good. Watch out for those bass boats blasting through that area, they go just as fast at night as they do in the daytime. Another area to try would be up river at the edge of Bird Island if you know where that is. Fish on the river channel side in about 25 ft. deep water. Down river the best place I know of is under the Clear Creek bridge. We have caught some very good fish on Logan Martin at night so good luck, have fun, and most of all be safe.
    Live Simply, Love Generously, Care Deeply, Speak Kindly, and Trust in our Creator who Loves us

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the reply. I thought about the clear creek bridge because I always see the ropes hanging down. There must be a lot of people that fish there. I probably will fish the point just out of lakeside landing for my first trip but like you said, there are a lot of people that come roaring around that area. 25 feet seems really deep. Is that a good depth to start with? How deep should I put my light?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Fishing Deep

Quote Originally Posted by jem270
    Thanks for the reply. I thought about the clear creek bridge because I always see the ropes hanging down. There must be a lot of people that fish there. I probably will fish the point just out of lakeside landing for my first trip but like you said, there are a lot of people that come roaring around that area. 25 feet seems really deep. Is that a good depth to start with? How deep should I put my light?
    Hey jem, I know that in different lakes, conditions are different but me and the wife and son went to Toledo Bend this past weekend and everyone we talked to said that you needed to be in at least 20 feet or deeper to catch crappie. They were right! Fished friday night in 15-18 feet of water and we only caught 3. Saturday night we fished in 24 feet of water and caught 15. As far as how deep to hang your lights, I put 1 lantern out on each side of the boat fairly close to the water (1 foot or so) and I also drop 1 green drop light on each side of the boat about 1 to 2 feet down. Another good idea is to bait the area earlier in the day if you can. If you have a fish finder you will be able to see where the fish are holding----fish that depth. I have been out and fished for 6 hours with very little biting and in the 7th hour they started up and I caught them at the depth the fish finder indicated.
    Dwyane
    The only place where success comes before work is in the dictionary!

SMILE- A curve that can set a lot of things straight!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks. Very good advice about looking for the depth the fish are holding. Sometimes the obvious is not obvious. I got a underwater light for father's day and I guess I will just hang it over as far as the cord reaches.