Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Caney Lake Crappie Update for what it's Worth

Post Thanks / Like

Default Caney Lake Crappie Update for what it's Worth

From time to time I have been posting updates on the Louisiana Board about something that has been going on with the Crappie from Caney Lake. For those who are interested, this is the latest update from our state biologist. Looks like we might be getting close to an answer on what is causing the discoloration in the fillets. Will post any new updates.

I heard back from both LSU and Auburn yesterday regarding the crappie samples from Caney Lake. No final diagnosis was offered by either one.

John Hawke (LSU) told me that he had sent liver samples from all submitted species [ 1) crappie (from Caney & D'Arbonne Lake), 2) yellow bass, 3) largemouth bass, and 4) redear sunfish] to Texas A&M for Vitamin E analysis (predicted to take about a week). He said that comparable symptoms were restricted to crappie from Caney. They were not present in crappie from D'Arbonne or on the other species listed above from Caney. He said that some of the Caney bass did have a yellowish coloration in their visceral cavity, but that it was normal and not related to symptoms observed to Caney crappie. He also said that some of the redear sunfish and some of the crappie had skin lesions caused by the protozoan parasite Epistyles. That's also normal for this time of year.

He said that the symptoms in Caney crappie were worse in this sample than in the last one we submitted and that the symptoms were most prevalent in smaller crappie (5-6"). He preserved all stomach contents for analysis. He will get back with me in about a week.

Ben Beck, diagnostician, with Auburn described his preliminary findings in terms only his kind would understand. Then he told me that he really didn't know what it was yet and he had more stains to run. He will get back in touch with me in about a week.
    Hold My beer and watch this sheeet!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Keep us informed.
    Ranger375
    [email protected]
    North end of Lake Shelbyville