Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Nightstalk question

Post Thanks / Like

Default Nightstalk question

In Rango's article he talks about finding a ledge where the drop off flattens out and he references deep water and says 20 feet.

" Once we arrive at our location, the first thing to do is find a spot where the falling bank, levels out on the bottom, in deep water, in 20 ft of water or more"

Is the "Deep water" beside the falling bank only 20 feet or does he mean the deep water could be a deep as 60 feet or deeper but set up in the 20 foot deep water?

I'm new to night fishing so please excuse my ignorance of the subject

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CrappieCop
    In Rango's article he talks about finding a ledge where the drop off flattens out and he references deep water and says 20 feet.

" Once we arrive at our location, the first thing to do is find a spot where the falling bank, levels out on the bottom, in deep water, in 20 ft of water or more"

Is the "Deep water" beside the falling bank only 20 feet or does he mean the deep water could be a deep as 60 feet or deeper but set up in the 20 foot deep water?

I'm new to night fishing so please excuse my ignorance of the subject
    Good questions. The lake I fish on the thermocline maybe 25-35 feet deep., and you talk about deep offs, you can go from 10-15' deep to 80-100' deep in
    very few feet. The only place you can find trees in the water is on the old river bluffs.
    Duane

My soon to be ex-wife calls me a CrappieHead

Post Thanks / Like

ok guys, in my lake most of the fish will be found at any given time down to about 35 ft. and most of the time the fish you catch at night will be from the surface down to about 20 ft. so im saying dont anchor in water any shallower than 20 ft if you can help it since the fish will be found at that depth to. anchor in the deep water and put your lights out and fish over the side and MOST of your fish will be caught in water down to around 20 ft. and usually around 8 to 12 ft. we fish the points, ledges and drop offs because these areas are where you will find fish, and they use these places to travel from point a to point b in their search for a fast meal in their nightly roamings, so if you anchor near them and have started the bait fish to gathering around your lights then your chances of increasing your catch goes up as these schools travel. we talk about deep water. well the areas we fish have acess to deep water and deeper water. i think the bait fish prefer them places as it gives em a fast excape route in case of trouble.. and the crappie will follow the baitfish. as most nightstalkers know the bite can come at any time and it will suddely go slack to,, i beleive its because a school of fish went through and you caught some of em and they mpved on, and later the bite will be hot again when more come through. however, you can anchor in any deep water, set your lights out and the bait fish will start gathering and so will the prey fish to feed on em. I have no experience in fishing deep water lakes but id think our methods would work there to, but you may have to modify your tactics some. weve fished maybe a half dozen major impoundments in our area and our methods work in all of em. get you a map, find the likely looking spots and start trying em out and see what happens. (the proven points, dropoffs and ledges with acess to deep water) you will find some spots are hotter than others, and different times of the year is also gonna be better at certain times and dead at others. on my home lake i seldom check a map as ive been fishing it for almost forty years and i know enough places i can go just about any night, depending on the wind and expect to catch fish.(however some nights we dont do so well as our posts will indicate, especially this time of year). Kunes, who fishes with me a good bit probably nightstalks wylie more than anyone i know as he has fast acess to the lake and even he has nights, like last night, when he dont fare so well. and knowing kunes, if he knew where they was gonna be at on any given night, hed be there. so would i...from my yard to kunes dock its an hour and thirty minutes, and if i have to stop and get minnows, i can add another 15 minutes to that time. so i cant go as often and as easy as id like so i could say right here is where im gonna catch em, but it dont work like that. you gotta use your nightstalking set up to attract the fish to you and if they dont come on that night, you will not carry many fish home. on any given night when we set up, with our experience fishing the lake, we feel confident we will do ok, but like i said, some nights, especially this time of year, we dont fare so well. the extremes seem to affect the fishing more than anything... extreme heat and extreme cold makes it tought to fill a cooler. thats fishing
    Last edited by rango; 06-21-2005 at 06:47 AM.
    listen with your eyes---its the only way to beleive what you hear...

in a VAN down by the RIVER, Georgia/Alabama line
    Post Thanks / Like

I only know 2 people around here that nightstalk(setting up lights) without a bridge to fish under. One is me and the other is a guy I see on the lakes I fish at night. You confirmed some of my thinking about places that will be hot night spots. I have a dozen of those bamboo condos. Some of them are on ledges near river and main creek chanels. I have one in a creek where the depth goes from 20' to around 40' in 10 yards on a solid rocky bottom. It is also just off a rocky point in a curve. I tore them up there after being slow under the bridges. I am impressed with the Qbeams bait drawing ability. They out preform the others hands down. It makes me wonder how that crappie will find my little hook in those quadruplegazzilionBillons of baitfish. 2 nights ago I had to fish with only 1 pole...It was great...great! I was amazed by watching crappie attack their prey. They feed up..I am sure of it.

"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles." ~Doug Larson