Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Up North Louisiana Fishing

Post Thanks / Like

Default Up North Louisiana Fishing

LaBill,
    What would be nice is if us South LA boys went up there when it gets cool and do a little fishing in ya"ll part of the woods. Maybe as fall sets in and the bite gets better Sacalait Steve and I just might do that.

For now I heard a report yesterday (from the old boy I'm buying the boat from) he caught real good in the Mud Cove area (Atchafalaya Basin) on jigs and minnows. I think things are starting to pick up a little.

I will probably go this Sunday to my favorite pit. Will post the outcome on Monday.
    I can't leave now; They fixen to turn on.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Deacon
    LaBill,
    What would be nice is if us South LA boys went up there when it gets cool and do a little fishing in ya"ll part of the woods. Maybe as fall sets in and the bite gets better Sacalait Steve and I just might do that.

For now I heard a report yesterday (from the old boy I'm buying the boat from) he caught real good in the Mud Cove area (Atchafalaya Basin) on jigs and minnows. I think things are starting to pick up a little.

I will probably go this Sunday to my favorite pit. Will post the outcome on Monday.
    You best be ready for me to come along.
    GOT BITE? -----~<*)###>{

Post Thanks / Like

Default N. Louisiana......

Quote Originally Posted by Deacon
    LaBill,

Hi, Deacon.......Storms have played havoc here in S'port, been offline with my computer unplugged since early yesterday. Saw your post about coming to N. LA to our neck of the woods. Let me know if and when you decide to make the trip, I will check the lake reports to find the best place to go. If I can't get away, I will see if my fishing buddy Dave can guide you to some good spots, he goes almost every day.....he is also from S. LA, around New Orleans. If I had to choose one guy that is truly addicted to crappie, Dave would win hands down!

Did you find out what happened to your depth finder? Never seen one go up in smoke....it's got to have a short. I hope it's not the one on your new boat, that would really be a bummer. Good luck to you and Steve....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by labill
    Hi, Deacon.......Storms have played havoc here in S'port, been offline with my computer unplugged since early yesterday. Saw your post about coming to N. LA to our neck of the woods. Let me know if and when you decide to make the trip, I will check the lake reports to find the best place to go. If I can't get away, I will see if my fishing buddy Dave can guide you to some good spots, he goes almost every day.....he is also from S. LA, around New Orleans. If I had to choose one guy that is truly addicted to crappie, Dave would win hands down!

Did you find out what happened to your depth finder? Never seen one go up in smoke....it's got to have a short. I hope it's not the one on your new boat, that would really be a bummer. Good luck to you and Steve....
    I sent the finder off to be worked on. I guess I will know for sure what is wrong in a few weeks. I have a hunch that it will be a loose screw (me).
    I probably wired it up wrong or something.
    About fishing up north with you and Dave; Steve and I will figure out something and get back to ya"ll.
    I can't leave now; They fixen to turn on.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Toledo Bend

Do any of you guys fish toledo bend? I have just recently started fishing there thank to the use of father in laws camp but have had a hard time locating fish there. It is very different from the basin fishing we do here in South LA. It is driving me nuts.
    Last edited by basinfisher; 08-31-2004 at 05:56 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Basin fisher I try to make it to Toledo bend atleast once a year but mostly for a bass tournament, But I have put many a sacalait in the boat you are right you can not fish it like the basin it took three trips of scratching for me to figure this out but after 25 years of fishing it I learned you can't possibly
    learn the whole lake so I concentrate on the south end near the damn.There is a camp ground called Toledo bend resort if you put down here all you need to do is troll out to the front of the landing in the middle of the canal and troll
    a jig about 10 to 15 feet deep straight up the center untill you find a few then try anchoring and fishing shiners at the same depth. Also there is the texas and louisiana islands off to the left if you were to take a boat ride to the boat lanes from the landing The two islands are close to each other and can't be missed. this is also a very good place for sacalait fishing just troll around the island untill you locate fish. Just about any point off the main lake
    holds fish at some depth depending on the weather I fish the points at different dephts a fish finder is a must. you can find points that have a sharp drop off and others may stretch clean across to the other end off a cove and actually forrm a deep pocket in the cove this is ussally the best ones but by all means don't think you need to be close to the bank you may be over 100 yards from any given bank and find fish concentrated over grass beds.The lake is very easy to fish once you find a good spot and catch fish you can bet that if conditions are near the same as your last trip you can catch them there every trip, you may just have to find the right depth to match the weather pattern. The lake is so deep that the weather dosn't turn the bite off as easy as the basin In the dead of winter when its really cold you can catch a ton of fish at 30 are mor feet deep.
    Last edited by sacalait steve; 08-31-2004 at 06:56 PM.
    GOT BITE? -----~<*)###>{

Post Thanks / Like

Sacalait steve,

Thanks for the info. I will give it a shot next time I am up there.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Basin fisher If you will be in from overseas in aprill the weekend of the 8th 9th and 10th is when I plan on going back to the Bend for this Bass tournament me and my buddie throw and would be gald to show you around if you are out there .
    GOT BITE? -----~<*)###>{

Post Thanks / Like

I am not sure about my schedule for next year just yet. They change things around alot. I will stay active on this board. When we get closer, i will have a better idea if i will be in or not. i really appreciate the offer.
    Last edited by basinfisher; 08-31-2004 at 07:39 PM.