Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Newbe gear help

ducksoup Guest

Question Newbe gear help

I'm new to fishing strictly for crappie. I mostly freshwater fly fish and salmon fish in the salt. I've always caught crappie incidently while fishing for trout or bass. I currently have a couple of 5-1/2 & 6' utra-light spinning rods spoolled with 4 and 6 pound test line and an assortment of 1" and 1-1/2", 1/32 oz. tubes and jig heads in various colors but I'm never sure which colors work the best? I've started fishing some of the unknown lakes in the Gig Harbor, Pt. Orchard areas, but I'd like to try some others, especially Lake Washington. I own a 16' Smokercraft "Kingfisher" with a 40hp Honda and a depth sounder/GPS unit, so I'm good to go in that area. What are the basics for color choice, depth to fish, etc. On the small, shallow lakes I fish locally I just look for evidence of old trees that have fallen in the lake and I normally can find fish but on big lakes with deep water I never know where to start? Thanks for your help and suggestions.

Post Thanks / Like

Well I am in the same boat when it comes to big waters, so I will help you out with the colors, my preference would have to be black/chartruce or black/pink as my starting colors but it could be diffrent every day, i have on stock about 24 colors maybe 5 i use on a regular basis. thoes two rods will be perfect. try throw'n any white streamer in about size 8 and you should be able to pick some up.
    To land one of my crappie i need a gaff and a .22 pistal :D