Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Where do I go

Post Thanks / Like

Question Where do I go

Ahoy! mates, I am new to the TideWater area and would like to know where to start fishing. I currently don 't have a boat but soon I hope. I see most of the water here has a horse power limit on it...seems to run around 9.9HP on the smaller lakes. I live in the Suffolk area and if the rain stops I hope to get my line wet instead of my head. I look forward to the replies back and Thanks in advance. please throw a few back for me to catch and I'll see you out there.

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to the area. Unfortunately, all the lakes in Suffolk limit you to 12HP. But we still have plently of rivers and you are only 2.5 hours away from Buggs Island Lake. Fantastic crappie fishing.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Thanks for the info

Quote Originally Posted by IBNFSHN
    Welcome to the area. Unfortunately, all the lakes in Suffolk limit you to 12HP. But we still have plently of rivers and you are only 2.5 hours away from Buggs Island Lake. Fantastic crappie fishing.
    Thanks for the info IBFSHN, what can you tell me about the four Portsmouth reservoir lakes (Meade,Kilby,Pitchkettl and Cohoon)? I have the info from VDGIF but would love to hear a first hand account if you have one. Do you fish saltwater? I'll wet my line in either water just long as the fish are biting. Perhaps we can get together some time and hook a few.

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I have fished all those lakes in the past but haven't the last few years because I don't have a small enough motor. I usually get out for flounder a few times a year, but again not this year. Our old 22 footer has had it but as soon as I can sell it, we'll be getting another for salt water. Here is a good link for the lakes.
    http://www.bassjons.com/

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

I forgot, since you live in Suffolk, you need to make friends with someone that lives on Lake Kilby. They closed the only boat ramp several years ago and the lake is no longer accessable. It was fantastic for Crappie and bass back then. I can only imagine how good it is now. I'd just about kill to get back in that lake.

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

I've fished Prince for over 25 years, never got to the other lakes since we do pretty good at Prince, can allways catch big shellcrackers and bluegills if the crappie can't be found. My buddy has done good at Cahoon, it's the only place to rent boats in Suffolk, says he catches crappies around cypress trees near the deeper water and around the railroad trestle. The guy that runs the place is a good source of up to date info, he fishes for crappie a lot on weekdays. I think most of the citations in Suffolk come from Cahoon since the ramp to Kilby was closed. Now I think I've convinced myself to try Cahoon.