Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Lake Erie Western Basin Marina Crappie

slaby Guest

Unhappy Lake Erie Western Basin Marina Crappie

I hope there are some fellow anglers that fish the same areas. I find my self having no problem at all catching lots of nice crappie in the fall at the local marinas. Starting as early as September and lasting untill you cant stand the cold, I can catch them consistently.

I try the same marinas in the spring and have very little luck!
    What is the deal? I have been trying the marinas since the end of March when the water was very cold all the way up till now. I caught one fish about three weeks ago in a shallow marina. It was a 14" female white crappie. That is all I have been able to pull. Nice fish, but that was it.

When should I expect to see some agressive fish in the marinas? Does any body fish this part of Lake Erie's tributaries for crappie? I fish the shores from Toledo to Sandusky. At least let me know when to get them or if I already missed them.

Thanks,

Slaby

rockinmichigan Guest

I don't know about the Ohio marinas, but this spot in Monroe, MI has good fall crappie from what the locals tell me. Heard of a few crappie getting yanked out in the spring too, but haven't gotten a hold of any. Fished at that one in Monroe called Bolles Harbor all spring from the beginning of April to the very end of June, and the biting was slowing down in June. Biting as in all fish, but I was catching quite a few perch there in the spring, bluegills too :D

slaby Guest

Default Fall Crappie Start the Sametime as The Football Season

Quote Originally Posted by rockinmichigan
    I don't know about the Ohio marinas, but this spot in Monroe, MI has good fall crappie from what the locals tell me. Heard of a few crappie getting yanked out in the spring too, but haven't gotten a hold of any. Fished at that one in Monroe called Bolles Harbor all spring from the beginning of April to the very end of June, and the biting was slowing down in June. Biting as in all fish, but I was catching quite a few perch there in the spring, bluegills too :D

slaby Guest

I start trying to locate fish in September. I usualy find a few descent schools of crappie in early September. When October rolls around I can find crappie in almost all the marinas in the area. A few coworkers have mentioned fishing Bolles Harbor and some other marinas in that area. I focus on deep marinas and floating docks. If you find one crappie there are deffinitly more around. Sometimes I have to change the color of my jig to catch the other fish in the area.

It seems the fall crappie season is allot more forgiving. I can catch them more consistently. The spring crappie season seems to be alot more difficult. But if you find them in the spring you usauly catch as many as you can handle!