Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: migrating ducks

Post Thanks / Like

Default migrating ducks

starting to see a few migraters on old hickory.season opens friday and my buddies will be out there.ive seen some bluebills,a redhead,a ross goose ,about 15 cackler geese,and some hooded mergansers not counting the normal greenheads,woodducks and canadas.and all these birds are in the park where i work.no telling whats on the river.

Post Thanks / Like

I have seen alot of migrating ducks as well, Mallards, gadwalls, i have heard some specks at night but I havn't seen them, I'm hoping for a good season.

Post Thanks / Like

Yep, the ducks and geese are definately here. The cold weather has really been on our side this year. The sloughs and river bottoms in W TN where I hunt are starting to hold some pretty good numbers. Sitting in the tree stand last week I heard tons of mallards feeding and milling around in some back water. I also heard a couple groups of Specks and Snows pass overhead. I can't wait.

I'm gonna try to hunt Old Hickory some weekday mornings this year. I live 15 minutes from there, but I have never ever hunted it. I've just never known where to go. Are you allowed to hunt any shoreline in Old Hickory or do you have to hunt from a blind?
    Mistah Kurtz - he dead
    A penny for the Old Guy

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Black Crow View Post
    Are you allowed to hunt any shoreline in Old Hickory or do you have to hunt from a blind?

Allright, I just looked this up. I'm sure you already know this since you are experienced with hunting OH. I just wanted to make sure I'm thinking about this correctly.

In Units I and II - you must hunt from registered blinds only.

In Unit III - you may hunt from temporary blinds only. Looks like I'm gonna be huntin in Unit III if I can find it . The TWRA hunting guide says Unit III begins at river mile 267 and goes upstream to river mile 281, wherever that is.

Hey 78,

Have you ever hunted Percy Priest? Seems to me like you could shoot the daylights out of em in some over the coves around Four Corners, above Fate Sanders, and across from Seven Points. You have any experience over that way?
    Mistah Kurtz - he dead
    A penny for the Old Guy

Post Thanks / Like

blackcrow ive never hunted percy priest but a guy i work with has and he says u should use layout blinds on the shoreline in the rocks and gravel