Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: wateree fishing trip 8/9/04

Post Thanks / Like

Default wateree fishing trip 8/9/04

I know I know...Wateree is in SC. However, all my posts go to the NC board, ok? Fished from daylight to 2:00 p.m. Didn't catch anything except one small catfish down by the dam. I trolled sliders, grubs, live shad, worms, top water poppers, everything i had. caught two small bluegill on one small popper, catfish was on the shad down by the dam. Fished Beaver Creek and main lake channels mostly in 15-30 ft. of water drifting sliders and grubs a few feet off the bottom on 1/16 oz jigheads. Going back to try wylie saturday if the monsoon doesn't have too high a winds to it. figure the deluge will help with the water temp and turn them crappies on hog wild! I hope anyways. I will wait for my next wateree trip when i hear about the stripers schooling on overcast days. Until then...no more wateree for me!

Post Thanks / Like

hey tool, im looking foward to chasing the stripers under the gulls to. thats a lot of fun for sure. I made a trip down that way back in the winter and unloaded the boat only to find the water pump frozen solid. we messed with it about an hour and come back and dint get to do any fishing. never made it back. all our attempts to hook up and do some crappie fishing havent panned out yet so maybe well get a chance to do in some stripers.
    listen with your eyes---its the only way to beleive what you hear...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rango
    hey tool, im looking foward to chasing the stripers under the gulls to. thats a lot of fun for sure. I made a trip down that way back in the winter and unloaded the boat only to find the water pump frozen solid. we messed with it about an hour and come back and dint get to do any fishing. never made it back. all our attempts to hook up and do some crappie fishing havent panned out yet so maybe well get a chance to do in some stripers.

Post Thanks / Like

Tool,
    Where do you put in on Wateree and what are some decent areas to fish for stripers on that lake and also maybe crappie.

I keep telling my self to go there but the round toits keep getting in the way. I never seem to get around to it.

Thought I might miss some of the Wylie/Norman crowds down there and I also just plain like to explore places I have never been before.

Post Thanks / Like

cedar creek landing is a good place for stripers.It's right under the dam and gives you access to the river and the lake downstream.Crappie are really good at stumpy pond just above the dam , accessible from the same road as cedar creek.Dont know the name of the roads but you can find it on a map easy.It's way back in the country with not much nearby but a bait shop.Eric.
    Commercial fishermen help feed the world.

Post Thanks / Like

dontcatchmany, you go down I77 to highway 200, take a left off the interstate and go several miles to a spot in the road called mitford. on the hill there in mitford is a flashing light. take a right at this light. I think its called wateree road. this road will take you down the right side of the lake and every few miles there is a landing at each one of the creeks you cross, all the way to colonels creek. If you put in at wateree creek, the first landing you come to you can take a left once you get to the main lake and this will take you to cedar creek, below the dam. we would take 97 out of chester. stay on 97 and take a right at cedar creek exon,the road to the landing bears off to the left off this road. if you go straight on past the landing road this will take you down to stumpy pond. if you go down to cedar creek, theres a huge steep hill down to the landing. back then the road wasnt in good shape at all. i dont know what its like now. a few years ago we trolled a lot for crappie down on wateree, not so much the past couple years. striper fishing is good below the dam in the spring with cut bait. thats the only time i fished there for em. dont know how it is the rest of the year in that area. the only other time i fished for stripers was in the winter when the gulls would flock over the schools of shad the fish had herded to the surface. that is some fast and furious fishing and a lot of fun. the stripers can come up at anytime so while we was trolling, everyone kept a casting rod with something like a half oz road runner or little fishie on it handy. if a school come up close to where we was trolling, wed pull the lines in and get on the stripers before they sounded. following the birds is better through the week as on the weekends the lake is full of bird chasers. Its bad enough through the week, but more berable.
    we trolled for crappie down there, with a few night trips thrown in.. most of our trollin was done during the colder months, fall and spring. we never had much luck at it during hot weather, but back then we wasnt gettin the jigs down to the deep water where the fish held.
    listen with your eyes---its the only way to beleive what you hear...

Post Thanks / Like

We put in a clear creek and fish for stripers in the winter up the lake about 3 or 4 miles just below beaver creek and around any points that you can see. I've never had much luck for crappie on wateree. the fellow i was going with that day wanted to hit wateree. I am not that familiar with it but I do know how to chase seagulls when the weather is cold and overcast. wateree is chock full of good sized stripers.

Quote Originally Posted by dontcatchmany
    Tool,
    Where do you put in on Wateree and what are some decent areas to fish for stripers on that lake and also maybe crappie.

I keep telling my self to go there but the round toits keep getting in the way. I never seem to get around to it.

Thought I might miss some of the Wylie/Norman crowds down there and I also just plain like to explore places I have never been before.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks.

It is on my list for this comng winter for stripers if Oregon Inlet does not kill me.