Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Five sits and Zero Deer Later

Post Thanks / Like

Default Five sits and Zero Deer Later

I am moving my stand.

Before the start of the season opener I was on here bragging about this cadillac stand I had set up in the middle of a white oak grove laced with scuppenong vines (wild grapes) hanging all over the place. After 5 sits I have seen zero deer there . I guess that's what I get for bragging.

So I have changed my strategy. I have set up another stand more on the interior of the bottoms and into the slough system where travel routes and funnels are more identifiable. Well, last weekend I was out scouting and after I had walked for about two hours and not seen anything to get really excited about, I prayed that the Lord would open my eyes to see what I needed to see. Sure enough, not 10 minutes later I walked up on a cow path of a deer trail. It leads from a dense bedding area into another white oak grove. There was tons of fresh sign, tracks and poop all over the place. Judging the look of the bedding area and tracks, it looks to be a doe area. With this cool weather coming in, I expect to see some bucks moving through there soon.

We'll see. I'm not bragging this time and I'm setting my expectations low. However, I am keeping my fingers crossed that I'll have some pictures Monday morning. Good luck to all of you this weekend.
    Mistah Kurtz - he dead
    A penny for the Old Guy

Post Thanks / Like

Good luck Black Crow, sounds like you've found a place with a higher activity, I bet you'll at least see deer. I've sure seen a lot of deer, just not had the opportunity to shoot one. I'm hoping the cold front will snap them into more of a winter pattern, maybe spark a little pre-rut
    Goodnight Vienna...Pistols Firing!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Good luck with your new spot crow.

Post Thanks / Like

I hunted the new spot this weekend. It was awesome. I saw a coyote, a bobcat, and 10 total deer. Despite all of these opportunities, I came home with nothing. Here's how I managed to do so:

Saturday morning I got lost on my way in and was sweatin like a convict on hangin day when I finally got situated in the stand, so I was putting out all kind of scent. An hour after sunrise six deer came out and stopped under a very leafy branch 25 yards away from me, but I couldn't see any of their stinkin heads! On our lease you an only shoot bucks with 8 points or better or you can get kicked out. Despite the perfect broadside opportunity, I decided not to risk it. So I just sat there like a catatonic and watched.

Saturday night we went and got some hamburgers at what I believe would be the greasiest burger joint I have ever been to. All of the servers, women included, weigh well over 250 pounds with one knocking on the door of 400, no joke at all. Everyone gets a milkshake with their burger. Ignoring my lactose intolerance, I got one too. Vanilla.

Anyway, fast forward to this morning. I get to the stand and I remember last night's transgression against my body and I start to wonder when "it" is gonna hit me. At 8:30, "it" did. With gnashed teeth and cold sweats I hurriedly lowered my bow and got it stuck on a limb about 6 feet off the ground. D*****! So I started pulling it up and down trying to maneuver it around the branch. Finally, the obstructing branch broke and I heard leaves crashing up ahead. I looked up and saw white flags 50 yards straight out in the brush line. If Nature could have waited 15 more minutes before calling, I would have a picture to show you.

So next weekend if I can keep myself together and my bowels cooperate, I still have high hopes for my new stand.
    Mistah Kurtz - he dead
    A penny for the Old Guy

Post Thanks / Like

Good to hear you found the deer, sorry to hear about your SH*%y deal, good luck to you next weekend.
    Goodnight Vienna...Pistols Firing!!!

Post Thanks / Like

They might come back. Thats not funny but it is funny. Youll get um.