Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: nightstalking full moon vs new

Post Thanks / Like

Default nightstalking full moon vs new

Have any of you nightstalking pros noticed a difference between nightstalking under a full moon or at least a bright moon vs a new moon? It sure was bright this weekend on the lake and I cant help but think things will improve when my light doesent have to compete with the full moon.

We did have a good nightstalk though Caught some nice slabs with a 4 or 5 pound walleye for a kicker. Will finaly get to solve for myself the fried crappie vs walleye debate.

Post Thanks / Like

Yep you are right, its better when you have the only light. I havent had a chance to get out at night this year but looking forward to it. Hopefully in the next week or 2.
    Ted
    Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night will keep me from crappie fishing!
    2010 Lake of the Ozarks Super Slab Champion

Post Thanks / Like

If you forgo fishing the full moon because of the light you will be missing a good opportunity.
    One taste of the bait
    is worth the pain of the hook

clubeclectia.blogspot.com

Post Thanks / Like

Default full moon vs. new moon

In my experience you are ALWAYS better off fishing a new moon over a full moon. I have always caught better on a new moon.
    Dwyane
    The only place where success comes before work is in the dictionary!

SMILE- A curve that can set a lot of things straight!

in a VAN down by the RIVER, Georgia/Alabama line
    Post Thanks / Like

If the bait comes, so should the crappie. I like about 1 week after the new moon and the week before the full moon.
    The fishing may not be as good on full but it sure makes for some beautiful nights on the water. Last night was an example. Smooth water with the glitter of the moon. I love those nights. Fishing was slow even with the new Q-beam until I dipped up some shad. Then the action picked up. All the bait shops were out of shiners so tuffies were all I could get and crappie hit them slow. I had to use nibbles for the bites I did get before the shad.
    http://www.fishsniffer.com/moonphase/may05.html

"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles." ~Doug Larson

Post Thanks / Like

Don't miss the noon bite on a full/new moon. Had my best day of the year yeaterday and could only fish for a couple of hours around noon. I've had better luck at night a few days befor a full moon , but generally a new moon is more forgiving as far as the time of day you fish.

papasage is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year & Moderator GA * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

i was fishing in a small farm pond at sundown and the crappie was bitting at dark and as soon as the sun went down the moon started up . they bit till the moon started to shine on the water and they turned off . papasage
    retired and now i will always fish

in a VAN down by the RIVER, Georgia/Alabama line
    Post Thanks / Like

In the case of May 23,2005 I choose the full moon. Had a game to coach at 7:30pm so it was 11pm before my son and I launched the boat. We were rigged and ready by 11:30. Water was leaking in the boat...real bad. Had to run the bilge on and off all night for long periods.
    We fished with shiners about 8' below a Q-beam. It was the only light in the water. The moon was beaming and full as can be. The fish started hitting about midnight after we were settled. We had a fish on most all the time until a little past 3am when we ran out of shiners. I tied on a jig, squirted a little cod liver oil on it and caught 7 more in the next 30min. The slabs were few and far between but we kept 6 over 11" so that ain't bad. Running the bilge may have spooked some of the slabs but the 8-9" crappie never stopped hitting until the shiners ran out. My son said that he had more fun tonite than any other night trip. He is still mad about running out of shiners.
    Tonight the full moon had them jumping in the boat almost so you can bet I keep on fishing the full moon. Hell, I'll fish any moon. lol but tonight was special. I do like the Q-beam.

"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles." ~Doug Larson

Post Thanks / Like

Fished a coupla hours of the full moon last nite. Nice and warm, outta the wind and full lite of the moon. Got bait under the lites. Only brought in 8 fish but 7 were between a pound and a half and 2 pounds. Might try again tonite.
    One taste of the bait
    is worth the pain of the hook

clubeclectia.blogspot.com