Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Nolin report

Post Thanks / Like

Default Nolin report

Caught 18 keepers today, most were 10-12 in. We were slow trolling minnows 10-12 ft down over 15-25 ft of water in the creeks. Water temp was 69-73 deg. and the color was great. They were just barely bumping the minnows early in the day but seemed to get more agressive as the day progressed.
    Greenfish

Post Thanks / Like

never fished nolin, thinking about trying it though. Any advice? I have been fishing rough river and lake malone, boat traffic this last weekend was terrible on rough river. also where is the best place to put in at, will be coming from Leitchfield side. thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lyndall
    never fished nolin, thinking about trying it though. Any advice? I have been fishing rough river and lake malone, boat traffic this last weekend was terrible on rough river. also where is the best place to put in at, will be coming from Leitchfield side. thanks
    Hey Lyndall, I'd like to start off with a warm welcome to Crappie.com. It's great to get some new members for the Ky board.
    I'm sure the traffic this past weekend was horrible on all the lakes with the holiday, I didn't have a chance to find out for myself. I'll tell you what little I know about Nolin if you can give me some pointers on Rough, I've only been there once years ago.

As far as ramps go, I'm not sure which one would be best coming from Leitchfield. I always go to Wax or a small ramp a few miles down the road from Wax. If you go up the river from Wax there is a large creek on your left you can almost see from the marina that has some standing timber and cover in it that usually produces some fish. Sorry I don't know the names of the creeks. On up the river there are several small creeks that have standing timber and laydowns in them that have been good during the summer, kind of have to run and gun and find them.
    Going down the lake from Wax, past the couple of islands and past Dog Creek(heard it is a good creek, never fished it) there is a steep bluff bank on your right. At times it holds a lot of crappie suspended away from the bluff a little bit. I also suggest any of the creeks with standing timber (much of it is under water at summer pool).
    Sometimes we fish with slip floats around specific cover, sometimes slow trolling minnows works. Just depends on the cover or area where you find fish.
    If I need to clarify anything let me know. The details are sketchy because I don't fish Nolin a whole lot. There are probably great areas to fish near the dam but I've been down the lake that far.
    Hope this helps a little.

Greenfish

Post Thanks / Like

I fish rough river along the wall by the Dam, going out of the state ramp to the left, and at cave creek. But to tell the truth after the spawn I lose them, I'll fish all over the place (anywhere I see fish on my finder) and won't catch another crappie all year. I have heard that from a lot of people that fish there. I was there memorial weekend and the only fish I found was in the main river, I'd go less than 5 feet deep and they would be gone.