Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: STORMS & pc'S

Post Thanks / Like

Post STORMS & pc'S

Hey Guy's; Question? Even though you've got a surge protector on your PC. When it comes a bad storm do you unplug your PC's or just rely on the surge protector's What to do? in case of lighting strike's

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CrappieLips
    Hey Guy's; Question? Even though you've got a surge protector on your PC. When it comes a bad storm do you unplug your PC's or just rely on the surge protector's What to do? in case of lighting strike's
    If it's really bad, I unplug everything.....leave nothing to chance if you can help it.
    I won't be at work........I'm feelin' crappie today!
    ><)))*>

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

If you get a very close hit, nothing will help except unplugging it.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

If your going to the trouble of unplugging it, need to disconnect your modems also, phone or cable. More computers get fried through the modems than the 110.

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

VV68 is right. For max protection without unplugging it use a UPS. Come off the UPS with a surge protector that has connections for your phone line too. A few years back power surges on copper phone lines feeding our telephone switches was a constant problem. With today's digital technology that rarely happens.

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guy's I've had a surge protector since i got it but it did'nt have one of those modem protectors in it so i went and got one of those, But that's what i've been doing when the lighting get's to close, unplugging everything. i'll still keep doing that when it get's bad.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by IBNFSHN
    VV68 is right. For max protection without unplugging it use a UPS. Come off the UPS with a surge protector that has connections for your phone line too. A few years back power surges on copper phone lines feeding our telephone switches was a constant problem. With today's digital technology that rarely happens.
    Whoops! It just occured to me that someone might not know what I'm talking about. UPS is an uninterruptable power supply. It kicks in when your power goes off so you have time to shut your PC down properly. Some of them will shut it down for you.

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

I lost a hard drive way back cause the power went off, then back on. Was told when the power goes off the heads go to a parking position, apparently this was happening when the power returned and the heads activated and wiped out my FAT tables(files) and couldn't access the HD anymore.
    A friend told me about making a "drop-out" relay where when the power goes off the relay drops out and power stays off. Have had it for years now and has worked great many times.
    I also have a little dual female telephone connector on my desk whereby I unplug the phone line coming into my computer when lightening threatens (lost a $200 modem learning that lesson).
    "Teach a man to fish = he can feed himself "
    "Teach the world to fish = you won't have any fish left to eat "