Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Introduction and report from Auburn Dam reservoir

(/\)ishingFishing Guest

Default Introduction and report from Auburn Dam reservoir

Hello- my name is Shawn, and I'm from Elizabethtown, PA.

I just joined Crappie.com to learn some more about fishing for crappies and panfish, share stories, and get some advice about things like boating.

A few weeks ago, I sold my Land Yacht, (a 1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible,) to a man in Denmark. Instead of wasting time restoring a vehicle, (something my 4-year-old-boy isn't interested in,) I used the money from the sale to buy a real boat. Well, o.k., a fishing boat. I'm not new to boating- two Uncles, my Father, both Grandfathers, and friends have all had me out from time to time. I think I did pretty well with the rig I ended up with...all things considered. (A 1982, 16' Aluminum Vee Blue Fin, 1984 Tohatsu 9.9 h.p., trailer, and accessories.) I added a fair fish finder- something with just enough resolution to see bottom structure and correctly identify the occasional fish. Also added were a 262-reserve deep cell battery, a bilge pump, and a 42-lb-thrust MinnKota trolling motor. It's evolving into the real "war craft."
    I've been chomping at the bit to use the thing. I got on the PADC website and started looking at surrounding lakes- the perfect place to get used to the boat, I thought. My maiden voyage was at the lake at Codorus State Park. I noted a few comfort items missing from the boat for the next trip, and my friend Dave and I spent the day in "mild attack mode," half-heartedly throwing crankbaits, plastics, and even chicken liver- into the lake.
    The lake was wonderful; but I went on a fair-to-poor day. (I'm imagining a load of sailboats from the attached marina winding their way across the lake on the right day.) I'll be glad to describe more: I just don't want to write what someone else may already have.
    The second and third trips were with the trolling motor only. The former to Speedwell Forge Reservoir in Lititz, PA; and the latter to the lake at Indiantown Gap. These were just minor boat rides to gey my Son off my back for not taking him out. No fish were caught.
    It was after this last trip I figured I had better start getting serious. I started doing a little more research and reading online- looking for a good place to take my limit of panfish. (I enjoy a fish fry of these things...can always relax a bit with a beer or two while picking your way through the tiny hunks of meat on 'em.) I happened across and article by a writer for the Lebanon Newspaper. (Forgive me, his name escapes me at the moment.) In the article I read, he was talking about "[the amazing population and size of crappies in the Auburn Dam reservoir...]" This peaked my interest...and though this story is way longer than it should be... ....I ended up there this past Saturday.
    The commute was miserable for me; routes 443 and 185 are winding and narrow, with a total time of somewhere around an hour and a half. When I arrived at the ramp, I was already miffed at the wrong directions from Mapqu
    *st and two locals- the weather was really getting ugly, (heavily overcast with spots of bright sun and moderate wind,) AND... a load of emergency vehicles. There were close to 15 of these things, and EACH ONE was parked parallel to the sides of the lot- so I was lucky enough to find the last remaining parking spot. (A woman was suspected of committing suicide by diving off the dam or something there...and there were divers and police support everywhere looking for her.)
    By the time I got the rig ready to launch, the traffic director waved me on to the ramp. I launched and backed up with the trolling motor, as two other boats approached. I may be an idiot, but everything I read about the place seemed to indicate that it would be bigger than it was. Certainly deeper. When I turned the finder on, however, I was greeted with an immediate shallow alarm and a reading of somewhere around 2-1/2 feet...with what looked to be a lot of noise. It took me about a half hour of worrying that the charging circuit from the motor was interfering, I mounted the sending unit in the wrong spot, the wires were loose, or the weeds were too thick- before I realized that the bottom was nothing but silt and polluted with weeds. NOW I realized where the crappie population must be coming from.
    I couldn't have run across weather any worse for fishing. The wind continued to blow, it was bright, but not long enough to finalize a cast anywhere...and still cast a shadow with the bait. Whether it was from the constant boat rides happening there, due to the "unlimited h.p." ability; or the dredging of the silt by the divers and police crew, or just a matter of plant bloom and rain... the water had a visibility of less than 8-10", and was stained. I had a passenger, and got started late...so the best thing I could come up with was the fly rod and bright sunshine. (Hoping to use the sun's low angle with a floating fly to cast a long shadow across a greater area of the weed beds, and keep the 4-lb tippit from collecting too many weeds.
    It didn't happen until the evening...somewhere close to 7:30, when it was really starting to get close to "good." I finally caught a break with a 9" pumpkinseed with a fly. (I don't know enough to tell you the "kind" of fly- other than it was a red-wrapped deal with white hackle. I added float gel to it to keep it from sinking too quick.) I plopped the fly into an opening in the weeds and brought the little guy in.
    Almost immediately after I caught this, an 18-foot modified fiberglass jet boat, (the one which kept leaving debris like beer cans and styrofoam cups behind it,) passed my weed-bed at full-throttle, within about 30 yards. My position shifted and I had enough. It was time to go.
    I have a feeling, which seems to be shared by others' opinions, that the fishing in this spot is fantastic. 90% of the lake is less than 4-feet deep, and covered with that feathery, piney, freshwater "kelp." There are about 10 distinctly seperate lilly beds. The water temp was right around 65 degrees. There *were* spots of rolling shallow, flat and rocky bottom, channels, and 14-foot-depths just feet from shore. Anchoring could probably be a concern, as the bottom is nothing but mucky silt. It might not be a bad idea to make up a few disposable "quickcrete" anchors just in case. If you EVER make the trek to this place- go prepared. I'm sure, weather permitting, you'll have an awesome time.
    When I brought the boat in, there was a man heading out for catfish. He told me that they have a tournament every wednesday- and if you don't catch a 4-lb bass, you had better not even bring it in-- you won't get close to the prize. An article by the PAFBC spoke of crappies being tested for PCB's, and average lengths and numbers looked extremely good. There are pickerel, muskie, crappie, largemouth, bullhead, bluegill, sunfish, and even trout in this lake.
    The downside is that, unless you approach the reservoir from Route 61- Schuylkill Haven or Auburn, you'll have a twisty-turny road with very little shoulder. (Route 185.) The lake is fairly narrow and usually shallow, and I'm darn surprised that they don't limit horsepower to 10 like they do on so many other lakes. There should be no reason for anything larger; and I could see someone getting hurt there...ticking off a fisherman by blowing past them like happened to me. There are plenty of weeds, so you have to plan accordingly- bring some things that are "weedless," or that float. The fly worked great, but I'm certain that it depended on the sun blazing into the weeds; and there's only so much eastern shore if you have to share it. (Traffic was way low Saturday- three fast-riders, and about 5 bass boats. I almost forgot the latter were even there, they were so quiet.) The reservoir is located, technically, in a town called "Landingville."
    I'd go there again, but I'd come loaded with live baits, flys, and ultra-light rigs. I'd make a dawn-till-dusk trip of it, and either pack supper- or leave early enough to get somewhere when I started to starve. (There's nothing within miles around there.)
    I'm not a great fisherman, but I enjoy the heck out of doing it. I hope, in some small way, I may have shed some light on the Auburn Dam Reservoir.

-Shawn

Post Thanks / Like

You shed some light for me, thanks for the story. Have to admit - I was chucking a few times. I need to get out more, there are so many different places around that I'm not familiar with. Next time you make a trip to Project 70 (Codorus State Park), give a shout - maybe I can save you some time.

S10CHEVY is offline Crappie.com 3K Star General - Moderator Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Big Zig
    You shed some light for me, thanks for the story. Have to admit - I was chucking a few times. I need to get out more, there are so many different places around that I'm not familiar with. Next time you make a trip to Project 70 (Codorus State Park), give a shout - maybe I can save you some time.
    Shawn, welcome to Crappie.com and the Pa boards. I liked your short story, and post when you can. Keith

Post Thanks / Like

Default Octoraro Reservior

Shawn, Check out Octoraro reservior on the Chester county, Lancaster county border. It's an electric only lake and owned by a water company. I've never fished it, but worked nearby. I've been told it's a great spot and looks to be closer than Auburn.