Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hey all you Walleye Fisherman out there!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Hey all you Walleye Fisherman out there!!!!!

Witness to a huge stringer of walleye coming out of a small river in SEMO, here near Cape (not the Mississippi) just below a small dam. I went out with the intent on doing some white bass fishing from shore. Ran into an older guy and a small kid loading his boat up and he had 6 walleye with the smallest being probably 3-4lbs, said he probably caught 20 walleye in just 3 hours. I asked him where he was catching them and he gave me the general area and said they were in about 13-18 ft. of water.

I didn't bring my boat so I couldn't get to the area. Now, I don't do much walleye fishing, and really have no idea. How do you catch these suckers, what do I need as far as sinkers, line? Should I use minnows, leaches, night crawler, or jigs this time of year. Hook a brother up, going to try to get after them tomorrow morning.

Post Thanks / Like

Best advise I can give you is to fish nearly dead on the bottom. Just barely brush it with your jigs. Low light times are best. Chartreuse is still King in their world too. Bump up to 3 & 4" twister tails. Use 1/8 oz or larger jigs. Go sssslllloooowwww!!!!!! They will either kill it, or they will suck and spit just like a slab Crappie. Try to imagine your jig running through wet toilet paper... thats the hit. Scents are a big bonus, with Shad and Garlic leading the pack!

If you are familiar with a drop shot rig, that is another effective presentation using live bait. Keep your tag ends 12" or more. Remember to keep contact with the bottom - uber important!

For areas right now, I'd look near current breaks such as sand bars, levees, and wing dams. A rocky point that tapers into deeper water can be real hot right now too.

Check to make sure there isn't a slot size in effect down there. There is one here! Hope I shed a little light for you! Good luck!

<,"}/>{ Rippa
    Just one more cast, I promise!
    Common sense isn't all that common these days.
    Take the Time & Take the Kids

Post Thanks / Like

Tim, sounds great, now what is this drop shot rig, anywhere I can see a diagram. What lb. line should I use?

Post Thanks / Like

Them wallies shure eat good. Born and raised in Minn., and would never try to say crappie are not good to eat. Catch a walleye through the ice and have a fishhouse (shore lunch). Crappie are probably just as good but I never had them cooked the same way. Probably 10 min. from the hole to the fry pan. Man that was good.

Post Thanks / Like

Semo I have fished for them for years. Now I am the Forest Gump of walley fishing but I have caught them on a small river in Benton below what ammonts to a dam. Its actualy a 4 to 6 foot pipe that goes all the way accross the river so its just like a dam. We would fish at night by anchoring just below the dam and throw big trotline minnows rigged like a carolina rig. We would leave about 18 in to 2 feet of line below a 1 oz egg sinker ( more if the water was faster). Now thats the way we fished them at night.
    Day time fishing we would just troll rapala shad raps in either silver and black or white and chartruse. Occasionaly we would rig a jerk bait carolina rig stle and add a worm weight to get it down deep enough.
    If you do catchem there are only 2 rules you must follow though.
    1 dont lip em
    2 dont tell anyone you are catching them and dang sure dont share the filets.

in a VAN down by the RIVER, Georgia/Alabama line
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SEMOmike
    Witness to a huge stringer of walleye coming out of a small river in SEMO, here near Cape (not the Mississippi) just below a small dam. I went out with the intent on doing some white bass fishing from shore. Ran into an older guy and a small kid loading his boat up and he had 6 walleye with the smallest being probably 3-4lbs, said he probably caught 20 walleye in just 3 hours. I asked him where he was catching them and he gave me the general area and said they were in about 13-18 ft. of water.

I didn't bring my boat so I couldn't get to the area. Now, I don't do much walleye fishing, and really have no idea. How do you catch these suckers, what do I need as far as sinkers, line? Should I use minnows, leaches, night crawler, or jigs this time of year. Hook a brother up, going to try to get after them tomorrow morning.
    If you are near perry dam or pamona dam fish the tailrace this time of year with jigs. We do ok there when I visit my uncle during June/July.

"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles." ~Doug Larson

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb Semo ...

don't know if you'll see this in time, but here's the "basic" diagram for a drop shot set-up ......... http://www.iovino.com/dropdiag.html

Tailor this diagram to Crappie sized line & hooks (in other words - forget the fact that this page is meant for Bass fishing :p )

Don't have any of those high tech (high $$) drop-shot weights ? No Prob - just use a pinch-on sinker and tie a granny knot in the end of your line (below the sinker) .... works all the same. The palomar knot (shown in diagram) should hold the hook out at a 90deg angle to the line - and the hook point should be "up". Hook your minnow or plastics the same way - nose hooked. Lob cast it out and keep the sinker in contact with the bottom - keep the line straight, but not tight - jiggle the rod tip to impart action to the plastics, or to "rile up" the minnow (and cause it to struggle).
    I think I'd use a long shank hook, too ... just to keep those teeth away from the line!!

Don't forget to sling a Roadrunner a time or two, as well ...... slack water areas, eddy waters, and alongside any concrete walls - you're bound to catch "something" ......... luck2ya .......cp

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FalconSmitty
    If you are near perry dam or pamona dam fish the tailrace this time of year with jigs. We do ok there when I visit my uncle during June/July.
    No these dams are along way away from him. These are some good places, I myself have fished below them. To bad Kansas has a good crappie and walleye fishing and Missouri's walleye fishing is fair. Walleye and crappie fishing use close to the same tatics. But just remember walleye are bottom feeders, so keep your jigs or bait close to the bottom. 1/8 or 3/16oz jigs tipped with minnows or leeches work good.
    Ted
    Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night will keep me from crappie fishing!
    2010 Lake of the Ozarks Super Slab Champion

Post Thanks / Like

Default Walleye

It is going to be a little earlier this year but in Ne. I go about the 15 of june and they will have spawned and then laid up for a few weeks and then are now on the bite. look for point or bends in creek channels that are in 15 ft of water range. I use a slip bobber and fish about a foot off the bottom. If you find structure in 15 ft it is a bonus. The walleye are hungry now and move up on the flats to feed. I usually start with a minnow and a nitecrawler around here. I don't use to many leaches around here. I set an anchor when I find a good spot and fish with a slip bobber on one pole and fish another pole over the side with just a # 5 or 7 weight and a # 6 gold hook and hold about a foot off the bottom. I use #4 or 6 lb line for both poles. I am not one for sitting still so usually I am casting a minnow or nightcrawler with the second pole. I fan cast around the boat with just the weight and hook with the bait.
    DO-GOODER EXTRADINAR :p

Post Thanks / Like

I just got back from fishing Millford Lake in Kansas yesterday for walleye. Boy was it alot of fun, had a lot of bites and missed most of them. I did land 2 fish both was just under the 18" length limit. Used bottom bouncer setups with nightcrawlers. We was fishing mud flats in 5-15 of water. Ready to get back out there and try it again, only wished to have caught a keeper so I could taste them good fillets.
    Ted
    Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night will keep me from crappie fishing!
    2010 Lake of the Ozarks Super Slab Champion

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast