Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What do minnows eat????

Post Thanks / Like

Default What do minnows eat????

I have a ton of minnows left from today and was wondering what to feed them.

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by slimeyslab View Post
    I have a ton of minnows left from today and was wondering what to feed them.
    The eat each other. Don't feed them. keep water changed and cool.
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"

Post Thanks / Like

Slimey, they'll live a long time without feeding them. In the spring, winter, and fall, I keep leftovers in an aeratored and filtered tank. I take what I need each trip, and keep returning the rest to the tank. I don't feed them. I think it's something a lot of folks do just from concern of their well being. They'll eat light bread, corn meal, crackers, etc........ Just makes more poop to filter. Gold Fish food is cheap, and only takes a pinch to feed a bunch of minnows. Again, I think it's a matter of concern for the minnows' well being by the person that's trying to keep them in good condition.
    Last edited by luvjign; 08-17-2008 at 10:49 PM.
    If I Ain't Crappie Fishin', I'm Thinkin' About It............

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not concerned with their well being, I just want to use them on Friday. I'll keep them cool and change their water.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by slimeyslab View Post
    I'm not concerned with their well being, I just want to use them on Friday. I'll keep them cool and change their water.
    keep aerator running too. I have bout same setup as luvjign. Small aquarium.

Post Thanks / Like

I've had good luck feeding them on regular goldfish or tropical fish flakes--just crush'em up and only give a little at a time. Remember to change the water and continue aerating after they've eaten, otherwise poisonous waste products will build up and kill'em.

IF YOU'RE FISHIN ON CREDIT, YOU'D BETTER SWITCH TO DEBIT!!!

Post Thanks / Like

And you prolly know this, but don't put them in fresh city water that's got chlorine in it.....they'll be hammer-dead in a jiffy. If it's city water with chlorine in it, let it set at least 24 hrs to let the chlorine dissipate. Better yet, get some stuff that rids the chlorine from water ( I use Better Bait). Walmart has some stuff that does the same thing in the pets department.
    If I Ain't Crappie Fishin', I'm Thinkin' About It............

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by luvjign View Post
    And you prolly know this, but don't put them in fresh city water that's got chlorine in it.....they'll be hammer-dead in a jiffy. If it's city water with chlorine in it, let it set at least 24 hrs to let the chlorine dissipate. Better yet, get some stuff that rids the chlorine from water ( I use Better Bait). Walmart has some stuff that does the same thing in the pets department.
    City fellers..My o my.

You right. Chlorine kills.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm on my own water well so it should not be a factor

Post Thanks / Like

Default Also...

don't put them in any type of galvanized container it will also kill them. I built a tandem tank from an old double wash basin and lined it with that spray rubberized coating stuff as it was galvanized. Circulation pump for aeration. Have 5-6 dozen right now that I trapped a week and a half ago that seem fine and I don't feed them.

Life has many choices, eternity has two...choose wisely.
    Unapplied biblical truth is like unapplied paint...how many gallons do you have sittin' around? U.D.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast