Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RV industry in lower gear as economy falters

Post Thanks / Like

Default RV industry in lower gear as economy falters

RV industry in lower gear as economy falters
    Sales of motorhomes, towable trailers down, but gas not main culprit
    By Roland Jones
    updated 10:51 a.m. CT, Wed., Aug. 13, 2008

RV industry in lower gear as economy falters - The Driver's Seat - MSNBC.com
    Duane

My ex-wife calls me a CrappieHead
    divorced and no one to answer to, lets go fishing

Corker is offline Crappie.com 1K Star General - Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

I've given an RV some thought but never traveled in one before (although my mother & dad traveled in them extensively for many years.) How much difficulty is it to travel to distant fishing locations with an RV towing a boat, launch, fish for a few days & then move on? What works & what doesn't work?
    Fishing since '50!

Don G is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Corker View Post
    I've given an RV some thought but never traveled in one before (although my mother & dad traveled in them extensively for many years.) How much difficulty is it to travel to distant fishing locations with an RV towing a boat, launch, fish for a few days & then move on? What works & what doesn't work?
    I have done this some and ran into a couple of problems::::

After arriving at a camping location and launching the boat, what's next??

1. You have to leave your boat in the water,like we do at Buggs, or
    2. Some campgrounds have 4-wheelers , tractors or other launch & retrieve
    vehicles that you can use...Some offer free services while others charge.

If you can't do either, you will have to hook up & unhook each time you launch or retrieve....This is the only real draw back we have encountered while RVing...

Corker, please don't ask Shoer for advice...:D
    USS Intrepid CVS-11 Helicopter Squadron-3 1960-1964

When I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations I have a good day

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default RV folks are tough.

We RVed (5th wheel) to Florida. Left truck and trailer at Jaco Dealer in Orlando and we flew home. End of story.

Later sold rig (for a substantial loss).
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"

Post Thanks / Like

Not a problem at all if its set up right.
    Here is how I do it. And it has everything we need. Now for 1 or 2 people its perfect. but would not be for a big family.
    The whole left side of that one sides out. And has a full queen bed Bathroom and microwave, AC and heat. Fridge and oven. Closet and lots of storage. Were 34" longer with it then with out it. And still get between 12 and 14 MPG with it and towing the boat. Can get better If I slow down to 55.
    Pete

Last edited by ShilohRed; 08-13-2008 at 06:25 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Default shilo has a good rig for static camping...

if you don't forsee having to make any runs, although I understand other than having to put everything back in it's travel location, pulling up stakes to make a run to the store, etc. w/ a pickup camper isn't real bad.

I've been RVing for many years, and we haul a 5th wheel w/ a 1 ton Silverado w/ boat behind it all. Sounds like a train, and to some maybe looks like a train, but it's legal in all states if you stay under 60' (many states allow 65').

The challenges of course, are length and not being able to see the boat. Closed circuit cameras can be added (Tom would have made his own) to monitor things in back.

We've made several trips from MI to KY lake and never had issues. I had a blow out on my trailer last year on the way down doing 60 on I-57, and didn't have any control issues. You do have to pick/choose where you pull in at as backing up is not something you want to attempt.

When you get to the campground you unhook the boat and set camp, then hook back up to launch. You have the tow vehicle for any runnining around and your RV stays put.

On my rig if the trailer tires clear the boat tires clear so making wide turns isn't necessary unless you are turning really tight.

At work so no access to pics a.t.t.

Life has many choices, eternity has two...choose wisely.
    Unapplied biblical truth is like unapplied paint...how many gallons do you have sittin' around? U.D.

Post Thanks / Like

My camper is off the truck and the boat is hooked up in 20 minutes by my self. I always take the camper off. Shoot I have set it off for a one night stay. I know some can't use there's off the truck. But we can ours.
    I looked into a 5th wheel and the boat behind it. But 2 many states that its not legal. And here and most other states the camper can only be 28ft. and 65 ft total
    Pete

Quote Originally Posted by yankee doodler View Post
    if you don't forsee having to make any runs, although I understand other than having to put everything back in it's travel location, pulling up stakes to make a run to the store, etc. w/ a pickup camper isn't real bad.

I've been RVing for many years, and we haul a 5th wheel w/ a 1 ton Silverado w/ boat behind it all. Sounds like a train, and to some maybe looks like a train, but it's legal in all states if you stay under 60' (many states allow 65').

The challenges of course, are length and not being able to see the boat. Closed circuit cameras can be added (Tom would have made his own) to monitor things in back.

We've made several trips from MI to KY lake and never had issues. I had a blow out on my trailer last year on the way down doing 60 on I-57, and didn't have any control issues. You do have to pick/choose where you pull in at as backing up is not something you want to attempt.

When you get to the campground you unhook the boat and set camp, then hook back up to launch. You have the tow vehicle for any runnining around and your RV stays put.

On my rig if the trailer tires clear the boat tires clear so making wide turns isn't necessary unless you are turning really tight.

Post Thanks / Like

Default No you are wrong about being legal in all states.

Quote Originally Posted by yankee doodler View Post

No you are wrong about being legal in all states. Go out to the North west and you will be in a world of trouble. Unless they have changed the laws. The trailers must be self standing in them states. Your boat would not be self standing.

Yes the laws was written for trucking Ind. but is enforced to all. I have seen many people being stopped in OR, WA & ID. They must drop the last trailer on the side of the road. Run to the next town drop the first trailer and go back for #2 trailer or have it towed.
    Duane

My ex-wife calls me a CrappieHead
    divorced and no one to answer to, lets go fishing

Post Thanks / Like

pete that sure looks like a nice rig.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CrappieHead View Post
    No you are wrong about being legal in all states. Go out to the North west and you will be in a world of trouble. Unless they have changed the laws. The trailers must be self standing in them states. Your boat would not be self standing.

Yes the laws was written for trucking Ind. but is enforced to all. I have seen many people being stopped in OR, WA & ID. They must drop the last trailer on the side of the road. Run to the next town drop the first trailer and go back for #2 trailer or have it towed.
    Yup I stand corrected. There are many states that DO NOT allow triple towing even though max lengths range up to 75' for rv's.

RVSafely.com

Life has many choices, eternity has two...choose wisely.
    Unapplied biblical truth is like unapplied paint...how many gallons do you have sittin' around? U.D.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast