Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Crappie Condos

Post Thanks / Like

Default Crappie Condos

Is there anyone in the Rochester area that would be interested in making and putting out some crappie condos in some of the waters around the Rochester area for crappies? Would like to get the crappie population going here in the area. Would like to get some of these monster crappies here just like down in the south. So if anyone has a interest in crappie fishing here in the area this would be a great help to the crappie and maybe we can have some great crappie fishing around here. Thanks. Bob.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Could it be?

Could this be Illegal in NY and maybe this is why nobody is answering this thread??????????????????????????????????

Post Thanks / Like

I actually looked int this a while back - contacted a DEC Fisheries Biologist. Here was the response:

"It is legal but a permit may be required depending on the material to be used and the quantity to be added. Bottom line contact the DEC regional permit administrator and get a written determination whether a permit is needed.

A second factor to consider is who owns the bottom of the lake or pond where you are proposing to add fish structures. The bottom of some waters are privately owned by multiple landowners (i.e. properties lines go out to the center of the lake and cut the lake into pie shaped pieces), others are owned by lake associations or perhaps one individual owner, while still others are owned by the People of the State of New York. In any case permission must be granted by the landowner who is to be affected."

Post Thanks / Like

Why would you need condos in NY? There is already a lot of cover for fish unless your fishing in a reservoir.
    Good things come to those who bait.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Guys, My oldest son has just relocated to New York. He says you would not believe how beautiful it is up there. We hope to visit within a year.
    About sinking structure...when you sink an isolated piece of structure and your the only one that fishes it and you consistantly pull 2 to 2 1/2 lb slabs off of it, it's a thrill like no other!
    Make sure you don't get in any trouble but if it's OK go for it!
    CATCH A BIG-UN

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Slab. What part of NY? Its funny what people have in their minds about NY if they have never been here. They all think its a concrete jungle, but NY state, not the city, is a sportsmans dream. Endless hills, trees, rivers, lakes, its pretty wild really. We have moose, wolves, coyotes, panthers, mountain lions, bobcats, bears, and practically every other wildlife you can imagine. There is even a herd of elk just south of here in PA. I live 30 minutes from the largest state park in the country. If the the winters weren't so miserable and gloomy, I'd never leave. We hardly ever get any sun in the winter. Next to the Seattle area we have fewer sunny day here than anywhere in the country, but thats mainly because of the winters because spring summer and fall here are wonderful. Unfortunately, winter lasts from about Nov - April.
    Good things come to those who bait.

Post Thanks / Like

OK, let me tell yall something. We are travelers and summer before last, we stayed 13 weeks in Syracuse. Man. What beautiful country. I fished Oneida (hope I spelled that right) and a couple of the finger lakes. Can not tell you how much awe I was in. I spent half the time watching the water, the other half looking at the great country side. If it wasn't for the snow and cold, would live up there. Met some really great people, caught a lot of fish, including crappie, bass, walleye and pike. We fished lakes, the Erie canal, up around Port "A", you name it. I could prolly write a tourist phamplet for you guys. Now, for the meat of the reply to the thread.
    Condo's, placed in the proper places will not only enable you to catch more crappie, but when set proplerly, will not be a hinderance to navigation, nor be an obstruction to any boater. If it is not legal (I have not checked the regs) to place them, it will enhance your chances of catching fish greatly. Not only crappie, but bass and others as well.
    I normally do not set any out, since we are in areas for such a short time, but the places we return to with regularity, I have set out a bunch. Year after year, they produce and give us a few places (that we alone know) to put fish on the table. Properly set out with the right materials, condo's last for years.
    As far as anyone "Owning" part of a lake bottom, please. What they gonna do, pitch a tent and camp???
    I do not know about up there, but PEOPLE do NOT own the water in lakes. The state or gov does. If you want to put out some structure, that in no way causes any problems to anyone else, I say do it. Down here (and most places I know) people put out their condo's at night or other times no one will see them anyway, so no one else will fish them. SO, if it is not going to cause any hardships to anyone, I say do it and tell your friends, when you have that big fish fry, that you know where the fish are.
    Dusty
    A gun in hand is a lot better than a cop on the phone.

Post Thanks / Like

i was born and raised on the St. Lawrence river and the corner of lake ontario. I loved ice fishing for the green monsters as well as fishing for the yellow perch. We would sink things all the time up there. really in the summer we would sink tons of condos for ice fishing. we would get out there as soon as the ice would hold us and put a building up. we always put more then one set out incase someone took our spot or we couldn't find a set.

good luck to yall and i hope you catch some slabs.