Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Wylie last nite,,,,the showdown

Post Thanks / Like

Default Wylie last nite,,,,the showdown

It was 8:15 as I left the dock to meet Rango and Pete. This was it. The brash, swaggering confidence of youth against the wise, steady hand of....maturity. Pete and Rango had picked a spot they both agreed would be a hotspot if there was a hotspot. I was happy to go along with their recommendation. I'd never fished the place myself but I knew that Marty was so impressed with it that he marked it by tossing a rod and reel overboard. Apparently an Ugly Stick with a spinning reel attached displays a special sonar picture that Marty knows how to interpret. Someone else seems to have attempted the same thing as Pete's first catch of the nite was a clamp on lite with battery terminal connectors on the end. It's the same type lite I use and Pete gave it to me. "Not such a bad guy" I thought.
    I pulled up to the already anchored Beast and was directed to my usual spot on the "wrong" side of the boat. I asked Rango if this was "the" spot and he grinned and said that The "spot was about 2 boat widths from where I was--like right under the rods he and Pete already had out. I could feel my chances sinking. I noticed that Rango seemed...different. He sported a new haircut and he seemed to stand alittle taller. His step alittle quicker. I thought I detected the aroma of cologne wafting from his direction. I wasn't the only one who noticed. Everytime a boat passed the women waved to him. Everyone knew Pete was gonna win this one, but Rango wasn't gonna let it be easy.
    Soon Pete pointed to one of Rango's rods and said"Robert--bite". That's confidence I thought. No problem lettin the old man go up by one. Rango managed to loose that fish and I realized Pete didn't have much to worry about. Rango lost another fish and I started thinking it was gonna be a rout. Then again, neither Pete or I had any fish so it was a tie. Soon Rango got focused and had landed 2 crappies. Pete started to twitch in his seat. I was resigned to the fact that I wouldn't be in contention when I caught a crappie. I reached for the net and those guys were excitedly waiting to see what the 1st netter of the nite looked like. They were diappointed to find out it was a lifter. After the abuse poor Danny took in person and on this message board when he lost a netter by trying to lift it I wasn't about to take any chances. Not in front of this brutal crowd!
    So now it was Rango 2,Kunes 1 and Pete 0. Pete started to twitch a bit more and Rango got number 4. That made Pete jump up and pull out his "secret weapon" which is not much of a secret anymore and didn't turn out to be much of a weapon. I caught another fish. By now Pete was pacing back and forth. "Robert--bite" I said as one of his rodtips went down unnoticed. Pete shot me a cold chilling "look". Rango kept catching fish. At one point he got a bite while he was bringing in another fish. He picked up the 2nd rod and handed it to Pete in a "Here ya poor bastard, ya can fight one of my fish" kind of fashion. I couldn't believe the poor bastard actually took it. Oh how the once great had fallen. Pete landed the fish for Rango and Rango thanked him, noting how most guys at this point would've dropped the rod in the water and said "oops".
    Pete finally landed a crappie and declared that the race was now on. Rango kept catching, and in some instances even landing fish. I couldn't catch up with him but stayed within 2 or so. Nobody said "Robert--bite" for the rest of the nite. Pete remained way behind in the count but caught 2 more within a coupla minutes of each other. At that point a vote was taken and it was decided , not unaminously that there was only 15 mins of fishin left. Alittle while later I looked over and figured Pete must've dropped something 'cause his chin rested on his chest and he stared at the floor. The remaining time passed quickly and it was over. Rango, not as good as he once was, but as good once as he ever was, had won decisively. I came in 2nd 3 fish behind Rango. And Pete had to absorb the shame of not only losing to Rango but coming in 3 fish behind me. I hear tell Pete's headed to the coast....
    It was a fun nite of smokies, sodas and wiseass remarks. Oh yeah--we caught ALOT of catfish--even Pete!
    One taste of the bait
    is worth the pain of the hook

clubeclectia.blogspot.com

Post Thanks / Like

Good story Kunes.I'm proud of you guys , because honestly , I didnt give you a chance.I've only seen Pete fish once in person , but I've heard the songs that are sung on this board frequently , and the legend is tall.I'm glad to know atleast that the fall tourny , should it take place , isnt a wash already.I havent crappie fished for nigh on a month and the itch is growing, but I have to go to the beach this weekend thus carrying my crappieless streak another week still.Eric.
    Commercial fishermen help feed the world.

Post Thanks / Like

im speechless. oh man did i dread waking up this morning seein them chant victory at last... i knew it was gonna be a tough night the second ol rango tossed the anchor off the back of the boat. he manouvered the boat over "the hole" leaving me in the dead sea. but thats ok, the home team sometimes gets defeated. rango got so happy last night when the time was ticking down to the last minute, he was whistling christmas carrols (jingle bells).

what to blame....well lets see.....

i was fishing where the "rod" went over last week, and its possible that the glare off of the shiny reel was blinding the fish???!!!?

or maby Rango was on top of his game after the girls on the boat came by and waved at him....he had to have something to show for.

at times it was so slow that i threatened to get Rangos army blanket and taking a nap in the FRONT of the boat.

up til the last half an hour i only had 2 crappie in the boat. with about 15 minutes i landed 2 in just a couple of minutes, one being the slab of the night. after my lil flurry, their was chatter........of reeling up early so the "comeback kid" wont catch up. but with the flurry being short lived, they had nothing to fear.

all i will say this time is that i done more socializing then fishing :D just wait til next time....payback is gonna be hell :p
    Full day 1/2 day or evening Striper/Crappie fishing trips available at a very affordable price for
    Lake Norman, Badin, Wateree, High Rock.
    Individual maker of the heavy duty "hybrid" A-rig Trolls just like an umbrella rig, Guaranteed to put fish in the boat

https://www.facebook.com/pmmalec Email: [email protected]
    https://www.facebook.com/BOLOcharters

Post Thanks / Like

after unloading the beast and parkin the truck two real pretty ladies walked past me as i was crossing the parking lot they cut their eyes sideways and flashed their pearly whites at me, , , wow,, what a charge,,,it was gonna be a banner night. It must have been that new haircut i was sporting. I was really perked up after that encounter and raring to go. I was in such a good mood i had to let pete drive the beast to the hot hole while i recovered my composure. I was figgering maybe the old man still had something left . anyway, as we was anchoring the beast, another boat slowly cruised by with three really nice looking ladies who waved and shouted at old rango. I knew they wasnt interested in pete as he was all hot, sweatty and gritty looking messing with the front anchor, trying to get it hung in that hard bottom. It is one of the few times i feel sorry for pete, when we have a stubborn anchor. anyway, thats five pretty ladies waving at old rango. It has to be a banner night i thought. nothing is gonna ruin my fishing now......back to the fishing. need to keep my mind outta the gutter in this report,,,, we got the boat anchored in a real good spot, easy to locate on the sonar with martys ugly stick stuck in the bottom, tip down, reel up, leaving a great sonar mark. it was one of our favorite spots and as pete and i settled back to start lifting em when i heard a chugging that reminded me of the african queen in that old bogart movie coming in from the darkness. It was Kunes, come to team up with the beast. i directed him to the best looking spot which was on the off side of the beast. Like the flag man waves in a plane in a aircraft carrier.I figgered to myself, now is the time kunes is gonna lay a whupping on the whole crowd as i figgered he was in the best spot of the night. wed just got kunes settled down for a night of fishing when another boat slowly cruised past with some more ladies on it, waving and hollering at old rango. I knew it had to be me who was the point of their interrest because of the new haircut and my unique physique. pete was all hot and sweaty and kunes, well he looked like he had a lot on his mind thinking about keeping up with the beasts crew in this important engagement, as reputations was at stake this night. so i waved back and give em a couple cheery hellos. Pete laid a downer on me when he said he thought it was the beast, and not rango, that was impressing the ladies,,sorta like the attention id get if i was in a corvette...bummer,,,then we settled down for a night of serious fishing with high expectations. the bite was slow and went pretty well like kunes described above. I really felt sorry for pete (you see pete, i do have compassion) before it was over as he was running behind all night. I figgered he would pull it off like he usually does and come from behind. he cut off a lantern, throwing the beast in semi darkness thinking that was the problem. that or he figgered it would keep me from seeing some of all them bites i was getting. and by the way pete and kunes, i really appreciate the notices you guys shouted at me when i got some of them bites right after we started. but for some strange reason the warnings stopped toward the end when it was obvious to all who was gonna be the champ. then he cut off his submersible, fishing in dark water. I gotta hand it to him, he was trying. Only thing was, he dint know the effect all them pretty ladies waving at the old man was gonna have on my nights fishing. Nothing could dampen my performance after all that Once when i was rared back all relaxed and comfy, pete pulled in a fat two lb bullhead and lifted it over my big shining belly (I was shirtless)and in sorta like slow motion i watched that squirming slimy fish stop right over my tummy like he was hoping it would drop off and slime me from chin to knees, but he must have thought better of it and got it on to his side of the boat. Poor pete must have been really hurting last night but what can i say?
    I must admit kunes has come far as a night stalker since i first met him. Hes able to hold his own. we can look out for him when we have this tournament coming up and he aint barged up with the beast so he can fish of the "right side of the boat". anyway i made both them boys eat a huge piece of humble pie last night and not to take an old man like me for granted, especially after having contact with all them pretty ladies. I was like a rooster in a yard full of hens. nothing could deter me or stop my crowing. I just hope when we have that tournament the ladies will be out cruising in force again.. maybe ill hire a couple to cruise past a few times to dampen everyones spirits as they now know what effect flirting has on old rangos performance. anyway we all had a good time, kunes was happy he got him a new rusty clamp on that will fit perfectily in the queen and he beat the legendary pete, and ALMOST beat rango. and pete, he left me at the landing muttering something about even a blind hog will occasionally find an acorn. it was a Good night fellers,, i enjoyed every minute of it. youall come back now,, you hear?
    listen with your eyes---its the only way to beleive what you hear...

Post Thanks / Like

Pete--
    I forgot about that whistlin Jingle Bells thing. The ol boy was on top of the world wasn't he? I'll bet Mrs Rango got a wake up call when he got home... You're sure bein a good sport. I thought it was alittle mean spirited when I saw ya tryin to drag up Marty's special marker before we left but I guess a good nites sleep brightened your outlook. You're right, payback is hell. Can't wait til its my turn......
    One taste of the bait

Post Thanks / Like

Rango--you're right, the queen is a bit roughshod. but she's been with me for 16 years. She's been to the bottom of the lake once and had 2 children concieved in her and she's been with me sooo long I can't replace her. Oh, once in a while I'll cast a longing glance at a pretty thing like the beast, but I could never let her go. AND she's been paid for for a long time....
    Man, you sure did have your mojo workin last nite. Sort of a shame to spend it with me and Pete.
    One taste of the bait

Post Thanks / Like

Kunes im basking in my tripple whammy from last night, whupping you, whupping pete,(which was a HUGE accomplishment) and being admired by the pretty ladies.(an even bigger feat). words will never knock me off this pedestal im on right now,,,,,,thats gonna take a big stick,,,,, cockadoodledo cockadoodledo cockadoodledo,,,,,,,,,

Post Thanks / Like

Man I miss the action, good job Rango. Will make it out soon, I fished some Sat morning and caught a few cats. Love the post and the fact that age, style, wisdom, grace, and "charm" takes hold and shows the youth of the world a thing or two. Pete, I'm sorry, we have all been young before and understand. Threegals
    Stand Fast!
    Threegals - "one wife, 2 daughters"

Post Thanks / Like

I dont why, but i actually felt sorry for pete. Its gotta be tough to loose in such a vital competition as we had that night. maybe he'll go back with me. I sure hope so.