Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Reel and Line tryout...results???

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Reel and Line tryout...results???

Got to try this stuff out this past Wednesday. I had a Wally M. 7 foot pole, a Richard Williams 7.5 ft pole and a BPS 6 ft pole. All had the Pinnacle T2 with the fireline 10 lb hivis yellow line.

The line did not release as smoothly as I had hoped. I had to help (shake the pole) to get the Ky rig to the bottom of the sea. The 6 foot pole did the best, followed by RW pole and WM coming in last. This rate reflects how the line released (free fall).

I was rigged with a double hook rig with a ¾ oz bell sinker on the bottom of the rig (Ky Lake rig) on all three poles.

My best guess is that the line is sticking to the eyelets. The more the eyelets, the more assistance I gotta give the line (shake the pole) to get the line out; even with a ¾ oz weight on the rig.

I am gonna try another brand braid line and see what happens. These spinning reels were somewhat, but not that much improvement over the spin casts using the same poles and the Pinnacle T2 reels.

I like the T2 cause they are light and functioned just fine.

Results are inconclusive.
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"

frank lawhead is offline RIP Frank - Crystal is now posting on his behalf.
    Post Thanks / Like

Tom Have You Tried Spraying The Line With Reel Magic ?
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER

Post Thanks / Like

I wonder if you can wax the braid and make it behave any better coming off the reels and through the eyelets?

PB Wht. Crappie 2.48 lbs 02-12-2011

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by frank lawhead View Post
    Tom Have You Tried Spraying The Line With Reel Magic ?
    I tried it on those reels I got from you. It helped. I ran out of reel magic. Looks like a trip to Gander.
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"

Post Thanks / Like

Real magic is the the trick, works great.

Post Thanks / Like

I have been using spiderwire (the cheap kind) on freespool baitcast and 12ft rods and haven't noticed any problem with the line sticking to the rod. I do use reel magic. Seems like the open face reel would have less friction than the reels I use, but who knows. I find it hard to believe that the makeup of different brand lines would be that different, but stranger things have happened. I was also using the same rig, 1/2 and 3/4 oz KY rig. I think I am using 6# line, but that's been over a week so I'm not sure without checking. I'm going to try and do some night fishing this week, my grandson is coming for a stay, and I'll make some notes. Thanks for the post.

A day late, a dollar short and two drinks behind.