Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Outboard oil

PawPaw Gene is offline Crappie.com 2012 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Outboard oil

Whats y'all opinion on outboard oil. I've a 2 cycle Yamaha and I got caught low on oil. I bought a gallon of pennzoil for a backup just in case I run out on my trip this morning. I've only been running yama oil since new. Yama oil is 18 dollars a gal. and Pennsoil is 13 dollars. Should there be any problem if I have to mix the oils together. The container says meets the spec. for Yamaha, and all the other major engines. Thanks for any insight.
    "gene"
    "G" Gone but not forgotten!!

Post Thanks / Like

You'll be just fine.The only difference in the oil today is the price.I alway's use quicksilver but if I cant find it Ill put anything in when in a bind.

Etowah, Tn. foothills to the Smokey Mountains
    Post Thanks / Like

Default I'm no mechanic but-

I'll share with you some info that I have come upon lately. The main thing is making sure the oil will mix with the gas you are using. I have a friend who is a small engine and outboard mechanic who says that in the last 2 years there are more and more breakdowns being brought into the shop and it is because of the ethanol that is being added to gas by different companys. some have it some don't but most will eventually go to it. He advised me to start using synthetic oil which will mix with the ethanol. So you be the judge

Don G is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I guess I'm crazy but I use nothing but Yamalube 2M in my Yamaha 115 2 stroke...The 2M is semi-synthetic & Yamaha assures me that it will mix with Ethanol..

I wish I could find it for $18.00..I'm paying $36.00 at Gander Mtn...
    USS Intrepid CVS-11 Helicopter Squadron-3 1960-1964

When I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations I have a good day

CrappiePappy is online now Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Don't know about all that ....

but, I do know that:

My 1984 70hp Yamaha is still running. I used the cheapest brand of TCW3 rated oil I could find. The motor is an oil injection type, 2 cycle. Never had a lick of trouble with the engine. Owned and ran it for 14yrs, and it sat idle for two years before I sold it (boat/motor/trailer/etc). It only took fresh gas and some carb cleaner to get it fired back up, even after not being started for those 2 yrs.
    I used Yamalube, Quicksilver, and even Wally World's brand ... as long as the label said it was TCW3 rated. I'd heard about motor mfg's saying that warranties would be void if their "brand" of oil wasn't used. The motor was a used motor, when I purchased it, so there was no warranty to worry about. I also bought into, initially, the idea that certain motor mfgs brands of oil had "special" additives that were specifically designed for their motors. That's the only reason I ever used the more expensive Yamalube & Quicksilver (note: Yamaha & Merc were parts partners in those days). And the gas, back then, did contain ethanol.

Here's some interesting reading, that might open this discussion up a little :

tcw 3 - Google Search

... cp

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

We have discussed this many times on outboard repair forums that I frequent. CP said the magic word "TCW-3". As long as it's rated TCW-3, you can use it. BTW, TCW means it is for water cooled engines.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Gene, I'm running a 40 Yamaha, 86' and three other 2 cycle motors, 2 Merc's and a Suzuki, all from '68 to '88, with a lot of run time on all. No problems running on cheapest TCW-3 that's on sale in gallons. Bought the '68 in '72 and it has not lost 5 lbs. of compression from new and starts 2nd pull.
    Just my opinion, but haven't had any oil issues from varying brands, as long as it meets the TCW-3 rating.

I run em till they die, and sort of wish for new 4 strokes, till I priced replacing them all.

boatstall
    "Hello, My name is Bill, and I'm a tackleholic"

PawPaw Gene is offline Crappie.com 2012 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the input guys, i thought I'd be alright but just wanted a little reassurance. It was my thinking that as long as it was TCW-3 I would be OK. Well I made the trip and had to use some of the Pennzoil. I also made it back without a hitch and with a nice mess of fish. I will post pictures later on the La. forum. Check it out. Its way to hot to go back out side to clean the fish. Cleaning and pictures will have to wait until the sun drops some. Its 96 degrees and 108 heat index as I type. Whew!!!!! Once more thanks.
    "gene"

Boatstall, if'n you want a 4 stroke, I've this mechanic around the corner out back who's great with math. He's a wiz. Bring him a couple of your 2 stroke and he'll add'em together and make you a 4 stroke. Ha.
    Last edited by PawPaw Gene; 07-20-2008 at 03:32 PM.
    "G" Gone but not forgotten!!

Post Thanks / Like

All the 2-cycle oil I ever used was from Wal-Mart. Never had any problems. Here is what sold me-I still have(I seldom ride it) a Yamaha Blaster 4-wheeler that is 2-cycle. When I bought it, Yamaha recommended their Yamalube oil. After a few fouled plugs, I bought oil at Wal-Mart and never had any problems.

Post Thanks / Like

Y'all got me curious about this oil thing. Heck, the more testamonials I read, the more confused I get. Crappiepappy, I guess the Wally World oil you mentioned is the SuperTech, right? I've been getting the Pennsoil at WM when I run out of Quicksilver, and it's always right beside the SuperTech, and never studied the SuperTech label, but always notice it's considerably cheaper than the Pennsoil. Just wondering who really makes it, and of course, the true difference.

Here's yet some more testamonials from another forum that adds to the confusion ... 2 cycle motor oil [Archive] - Catfish1.com ...
    If I Ain't Crappie Fishin', I'm Thinkin' About It............

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast