Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I am back and really tired

Post Thanks / Like

Default I am back and really tired

The travel and all the running around the Hospital has worn me out. I guess that is what I get for having this old broken down body.

Anyway here is the deal....

Got there Friday before the surgery and we were able to see him before and that is only because he got bumped for a guy that ended up is room mate after. He also had his leg amputated and was much more complicated because of his injuries nd it was above the knee.

As for my son he came through it great and woke up feeling really good. That changed Saturday evening with a lot of pain and then in the middle of the night he stopped breathing. They are not sure why, but his oxygen levels are not holding and there is lots of meds so they are trying to find out what is causing that. We were very lucky because a nurse was in seeing his room mate when that happened. He was snoring and stopped and luckily they noticed it and got him restarted and moved him to ICU for just short of 24 hours. Now that the oxygen is a problem they have moved him to a different room so he gets more attention (less patients per nurse).

Other than this all is really gone well and they put off looking at his stump today and will look tomorrow.

The big catch of all this is his skin is so thin from being burned so badly that it is not a certainty that this will work as he wants it to (in other words be able to jump out of air planes and return to unit in the field). The good part though is he has the respect from so many of the military Brass it is really something and they all like him so much that his future is bright even if this doesn't work as he wants so he can again jump out of air planes. Even the Brass from other branch's seem to have this great feeling for him. He will be there until about the first of the month and then home to Tampa until it's time to start rehab and then back to BAMC for a good bit.

They even want him to stay a little longer than necessary this time because some Admiral wants to see him and he will not be there for a couple of weeks. I mean he's not even in the Navy, but this guy and the others want him there for when he comes.

So thank you for all the prayers and I am sure they helped!

He looked great when we saw him yesterday morning on our way out!

Skip
    PS there is one more issue that is not so good. It's something we knew about and that some time they would need to take care of some how. behind his right knee the skin cracks easy and is not good condition. The bad part of this is it's location. It is right where all the blood vessels run and it's dangerous to cut that out to graph better skin in that spot. You can die just from the surgery it things don't go well as they would have to cut the vessels and reattach them after. His friend Doctor though has told him there is another way they may be able to look at which is some kind of patch of skin that wouldn't require cutting the old out I think. I really am not too sure about this, but at some point they will need to fix that some way.

Also you will see on the news maybe today or tomorrow that they at BAMC have grown a finger from scratch. All the new technology is amazing and they are doing a lot of research with this stuff, skin, regrowing fingers, etc.
    Last edited by skiptomylu; 07-14-2008 at 02:46 PM. Reason: Added info

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

Post Thanks / Like

Hope things continue to go well for him & he heals quickly!

Post Thanks / Like

We hope he has a good and speedy recovery.

East TN, Douglas,Cherokee,Watuga and South Holston
    Post Thanks / Like

we will kep him in our prayers
    Speck

Real men troll for crappie (Here Fishy Fishy !)

Post Thanks / Like

your sons dedication and commitment to our country is very appreciated, hope his recovery is speedy. it sounds like your son is very respected in the ranks, must have had a good teacher, you should be very proud.

poppop is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

hope it works out.....prayers are still being sent

Post Thanks / Like

Glad he is getting better,and you had a safe trip.
    get d net <*((((((>{ PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER

Post Thanks / Like

Glad to hear he is doing better and we will pray for the oxygen to level out. The Brass is not the only ones that really respect your Son. I have never met him but have one very high respect for that boy. You too for that matter. I think we all here on Crappie.com have a great respect for you both. God Bless to your Son, you and all of your Families.
    Soldiers and Firefighters. Some people were meant to call 911, Some were meant to BE 911

Post Thanks / Like

Well said father of 4....ditto from me and my family also.

Don G is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Skip, I hope that Randy recovers from this operation soon...He sure has been through a lot and I know you have done a lot of traveling looking after him..

My son in law tried to get in touch with Randy last week or the week before..I told Michael that he was probably in TX. He will check on him when he gets back to Tampa..

Rest up a little and then catch a few...We have your family in our prayers..
    USS Intrepid CVS-11 Helicopter Squadron-3 1960-1964

When I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations I have a good day

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast