Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shell Corn prices are sky high now!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Shell Corn prices are sky high now!

Like everything else in our economy Corn Prices have shot out the roof. We usually put out shell corn for the deer (I know it's probably illegal in most of yalls areas) but we ain't gonna be able to afford that this year. Last year it was somewhere between 5-7 dollars for a a 50 lb bag....this year....10 dollars! We have shot a lot of deer over corn in the past years and it's great to put the trail camera out on it to get good pictures, but all that will be a thing of the past now.

We're going to continue to plant milo.

I been thinking about it though....I think it might be a little better hunting without the corn. When the deer know it's there they can come at night and eat without disturbance. The deer we have shot have mostly been at dawn and dusk right before and after daylight. Not to mention all of our big deer pictures come at night over the corn pile. They won't touch the stuff in the day! I'm looking forward to seeing if the lack of corn will be a good thing. What yall think?
    Hooking up every chance I get!

Post Thanks / Like

Hmmm, baited deer hunting. I don't know of a state that does allow it.

Post Thanks / Like

Default It's legal

It's perfectly legal in lexington county here in south carolina. Whereas a mile up the road in or 100 yds through the woods in newberry county it is illegal to hunt over it. You can put it out to get pictures and bring deer in before season, it just better be off the ground the time you climb in the stand to shoot one.
    Hooking up every chance I get!

Post Thanks / Like

Its legal in texas and I believe it is legal here in Ga. You just ,well your suppose to be,,, 100 or 200 yards from it

Post Thanks / Like

you can bait in GA, but you gotta be (i think) 300 yards away from it. i hunt the redlands wma and i don't bait (to scared of getting caught,,,lol). i just try to find a good looking spot with some signs and hope to get lucky.
    Got crappie?:D

fishhunter775 is offline Crappie Wall Hanger * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

It is leagal in Arkansas and you can set as close as you like.

papasage is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year & Moderator GA * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

with the deer population here i don`t think it would hurt a thing to bait them . they have caused more recks here than most anything else . and caused several deaths .i don`t hunt and don`t care to . but babier is gitting to thick . i hate to drive to the lake earley in the mornings see several most every time .just ben luckey so far . i go a lonnger way as they arenot as bad on the main highway
    retired and now i will always fish

Post Thanks / Like

From what the Game Warden told me(and don't ask why ) the corn has to be at least 200 yards from your stand and you can not see it from your stand. I personally think hunting over corn should be legalized in GA to help control the population over GA. Think about it, the limit is 12 and only a small percentage of hunters get their limit every season. And some counties are Quality Management and those hunters are only after the Big Boys. I hunt in Macon County and see deer 90% of the time and usually let the does and yearlings walk after I get some meat in the freezer. Some guys I hunt with will not shoot anything unless it has Big antlers. I know I am starting to ramble, and although I don't hunt over corn(most of the time),I don't see a problem with it. As far as corn prices go, it was $25 for a 55 gallon drum 2 years ago and $30 a drum last year. Haven't heard what it is this year yet.
    Last edited by TnT; 07-14-2008 at 08:22 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Sweet feed is cheaper then corn. and works just as good.
    pete

in a VAN down by the RIVER, Georgia/Alabama line
    Post Thanks / Like

eac falli save and pour into gallon jugs my brine water from the peanuts. I get 3 bucks a bottle from hunters. They tell me the deer root up the ground where they pour it. ya want some??

"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles." ~Doug Larson

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast