Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Morning Fellas

Hammerhead_38701 Guest

Default Morning Fellas

Just wanted to say hello this morning. Stumbled up on this site a few days ago and wanted to come back and check it out.

I mostly jig fish in some oxbows around Greenville and my hunting club. We start wading the ironwoods in February and follow the fish until the water turns over in the summer and then quit until cool weather. Haven't done a lot of trolling but do have all the junk it takes to go. Caught 50 last Saturday PM with some freinds and we got about 25-30 yesterday afternoon.

If any of you trollers want to go, Lake Ferguson has been red hot with the river falling slow. Their is a little rise coming down that will probably slow it up a little but should be good from now on through the summer. Have heard of several multiple limit catches for the last few weeks.

Anyway, bout all I know today, got to get some work done now. You folks be careful out there.....

Hammerhead

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to the group Hammerhead. As you can see it is fairly slow on here now because the fishing is slow this time of year. There are quite a few people on here from your area. Things will pick up soon when the water cools and the fish turn on again.

Hammerhead_38701 Guest

I appreciate it Crappieman101, I will check in ever so often to see whats going on.

Hammerhead

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hammerhead_38701
    Just wanted to say hello this morning. Stumbled up on this site a few days ago and wanted to come back and check it out.

I mostly jig fish in some oxbows around Greenville and my hunting club. We start wading the ironwoods in February and follow the fish until the water turns over in the summer and then quit until cool weather. Haven't done a lot of trolling but do have all the junk it takes to go. Caught 50 last Saturday PM with some freinds and we got about 25-30 yesterday afternoon.

If any of you trollers want to go, Lake Ferguson has been red hot with the river falling slow. Their is a little rise coming down that will probably slow it up a little but should be good from now on through the summer. Have heard of several multiple limit catches for the last few weeks.

Anyway, bout all I know today, got to get some work done now. You folks be careful out there.....

Hammerhead
    Hammerhead,
    You say that you wade and follow the fish until the water turns over. Do you wade in the water that rises into the woods? Or do ya'll wade the shallow waters of the lake. Over here in the Atchafalaya Basin we get the spring river rise that may put two to three feet of water in the woods. I have always told my brother we need to put some waders on and see if them crappie or in the woods.
    I can't leave now; They fixen to turn on.

Hammerhead_38701 Guest

Deacon,

My bestest fishing hole is a old river chute that the river stays out of except during spring high water levels. There are a lot of ironwood bushes aroung the thing that the fish like to spawn around. We start in February easing around in waders in 1 to 4 feet of water fishing various jigs. The males are first of course and what we catch the most of. Its hard to time the females coming in, they don't seem to say very long when the water temp gets right. Most of our fish are caught on the lake side of the clumps in shallow water. This year, with the cool weather in May & June, the bigger fish remained in these areas even after the spawn was over. The water was cool, they had shade and cover. We usually don't fish when the river is in this particular place until a few days after a fall starts. I haven't ever tried wading in the flooded woods, our's is mostly cutover and you just can't get around very well then.

Lot's of fun until it starts warming up and a big old water snake pops up by your leg, kinda makes you lose you focus....... Try it next year, you can't ever tell what might happen.

Hammerhead

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Hammerhead I'm Deacons brother and I guess i'll go by me a set of waders
    cause after reading this post he"ll never let me live it down till we try it out
    thanks for the tip.

Post Thanks / Like

It is a lot of fun. The only problem I have is stepping off in the holes...water gets a little cold...brings a whole new meaning to "blue balls".