Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Monark Fiberglass Boats

Post Thanks / Like

Default Monark Fiberglass Boats

Anybody have any experience with Monark fiberglass boats? Any thoughts would be appreciated.
    2018 Crappie Masters Kentucky/Tennessee State Champion

Post Thanks / Like

Don't have a lot of input, pab.........but here's an ol' bomber style Monark that didn't work too well on Grenada.
    If I Ain't Crappie Fishin', I'm Thinkin' About It............

Post Thanks / Like

Thats eye catching input, the boat I'm looking at isn't Bomber style but I'm still not sure about it. I don't come from a boating/fishing family so I'm not very knowledgeable about boats. What about the bomber style boat makes them less desirable in rough water?
    2018 Crappie Masters Kentucky/Tennessee State Champion

Post Thanks / Like

I had a somewhat similar boat dad drug home from Florida one spring. I re-did it simply because he paid 2X what it was worth. The boat weighed a ton, and didn't have near the beam for that heavy of a boat at 16'. I believe it was a Hustler. Had to sell it, didn't care for it at all.....plus it was a bear to load.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pab1981 View Post
    Anybody have any experience with Monark fiberglass boats? Any thoughts would be appreciated.
    Monark made a lot of fiberglass stick steer boats.
    Duane

My ex-wife calls me a CrappieHead
    divorced and no one to answer to, lets go fishing

Post Thanks / Like

I just found this site, by accident, but I can tell you everything you want to know about this boat. It's a 15ft monark. It was originally OD green and the motor is a 1975 75 horsepower Johnson Stinger. The motor was bright orange! I was on this boat when it sank in Grenada Lake. This was my Dad's boat. It sank in early April 1993.

Post Thanks / Like

OK so what happened to cause it to sink??

Quote Originally Posted by chrisco72 View Post
    I just found this site, by accident, but I can tell you everything you want to know about this boat. It's a 15ft monark. It was originally OD green and the motor is a 1975 75 horsepower Johnson Stinger. The motor was bright orange! I was on this boat when it sank in Grenada Lake. This was my Dad's boat. It sank in early April 1993.
    smiles are contagious, spread them around
    Proud Member of the ZIPPER Club
    & Team Geezer

Post Thanks / Like

Yea. My Dad and I were running trotlines in the backwaters. We launched the Boat from Greysport that morning. We had had a heck of a day catching White Humpback catfish. The livewell was FULL! Anyway it was getting dusky dark and we were heading back to the ramp. I was driving, I was only about 20 years old then, My Dad was sitting in the pedestal seat up front. He was a heavy drinker, and hard headed, I told him I couldn't see where I was going and that he needed to get out of that seat and sit beside me, but he wouldn't and told me he was "watching" for stumps. We were just barely going above idle when we hit that Cypress stump. The bow of the boat got stuck on the stump and that made the stern start taking on water. I put the motor in reverse but the motor didn't have power trim and the motor just raised out of the water when I gunned it. I told my Dad that we were sinking and he told me to turn the motor off so it wouldn't suck water in it. I reached down to turn the key and it was already under water. That boat sunk so fast it was unreal. It had no floatation at all. The water was about 8 feet deep then. The bow was hung on that stump so it didn't sink completly. The bow stayed above water so my Dad sit on it and I just swam around until an old couple found us. That water was so cold and it was getting dark when they found us. The pole that is laying across the stumps was part of the recovery attempt that my dad and me and two of his friends were gonna use to get the boat out of the lake. His friends each had large bass boats and they devised a plan to raise tha boat and drag it back to Choctaw Landing. Needless to say, their plan didn't work! I'm so glad I found these pics. It took me down memory lane to when I was a young man and my dad was still alive. My dad passed away in 2002. I wish he could have seen these pics. I found the boat a couple years after it sank. I walked out there and found it. I almost drown in sink holes and the slews. How in the world did you get there to take these pics?

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, it's great to have the full story to go with a picture. Glad you and your dad came out of it alright.

Helicopter Pilot
    Vietnam 67/68
    Proud Member of the Southeast Asian War Games Team

Post Thanks / Like

Here is another abandoned Mon Ark I happened on yesterday.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast