Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Old bamboo fishing rod

Post Thanks / Like

Question Old bamboo fishing rod

I was given an old, 3 piece 10 foot bamboo fishing rod a few years ago. It was wrapped in foam and taped up when I got it, and I never opened it until tonight when I thought I was going to let one of my boys use it. I thought it was a cane pole. It isn't. It has old metal eyes that are wrapped onto the pole with what looks like thick fishing line and lacquered over. It has a metal reel seat, above what looks like a metal wire wrap handle below the seat. The handle is about 8-10" long. I will get pics tomorrow to help out with identification. I was just wondering if this sounds familiar to anyone. It kinda looks like an antique crappie rod in a way, just A LOT heavier. I'm not looking to sell it or anything as it was given to me by my mother in law, so price is meaningless. Just kinda curious how old this thing might be.
    Bob's Jigs Prostaff
    www.bobsjigs.com

gabowman is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Looking forward to seeing a pic of it. Cant say I've ever seen one quite like what you described.
    Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.

Post Thanks / Like

Default guessing on bamboo rod

Quote Originally Posted by SpeckWick View Post
    I was given an old, 3 piece 10 foot bamboo fishing rod a few years ago. It was wrapped in foam and taped up when I got it, and I never opened it until tonight when I thought I was going to let one of my boys use it. I thought it was a cane pole. It isn't. It has old metal eyes that are wrapped onto the pole with what looks like thick fishing line and lacquered over. It has a metal reel seat, above what looks like a metal wire wrap handle below the seat. The handle is about 8-10" long. I will get pics tomorrow to help out with identification. I was just wondering if this sounds familiar to anyone. It kinda looks like an antique crappie rod in a way, just A LOT heavier. I'm not looking to sell it or anything as it was given to me by my mother in law, so price is meaningless. Just kinda curious how old this thing might be.
    Sounds to me it might be a bamboo FLY ROD.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by flycaster View Post
    I agree with flycaster, sounds like a flyrod. My dad had one when I was about 10 but the top section was missing.

WALLY MARSHALL PRO STAFF
    CATCHIN' CRAPPIE GUIDE SERVICE
    CREEKS ROD TRANSPORT RACK
    870-307-2572

Post Thanks / Like

I worked on the farms near my home when I was 12 and bought a split bamboo fly rod with an automatic reel. I was a real hot shot. Used to wade the small streams near my home with my uncle. Used popping bugs, small spinners etc to catch blue gill, bass and red eye. It somehow got misplaced when I was in the Army and I moved on to spinning reels, plastic worms and all the good stuff that came out in the 60's. A couple of years ago I went to an antique show near my home and found an old bamboo rod there and bought it. It is hanging on the wall above my computer with an old Johnson No 1 reel. (I was told that out west on the trout streams in the 50's they used that combination and called it a noodle rod) I don't think I've ever seen a fly rod with a wire wrapped handle so you may have something rare.

A day late, a dollar short and two drinks behind.

Post Thanks / Like

Okay, hopefully this worked. Here are the pics. The rod breaks down into three sections, and put together it is too long to get into a picture close enough to see any detail. I wouldn't think it's a fly rod because the butt section of the rod is like a spinning rod. Don't most fly rods have the reel mount at the bottom end of the rod?
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Bob's Jigs Prostaff
    www.bobsjigs.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SpeckWick View Post
    Last year this mounth i went to visit my father and mother thet live up on our farm in mich. My dads getting old and wanted to hand me down some things of my granfather (His dad). He gave me 3 fly rods still in the steel tubes we called them tubes when younger. Me and my bro! I Gave him one kept two. They are three piece fly rods used up north and the old material was made to hold a fourth piece it being and extra tip in case one broke to my understanding. Philipson pace maker rods is whats on the steel tubes. cant make out the name of the rods that i kept worn off but i think the one i gave to my bro. still has it on thier. I was told long time ago they were specialey made for him and my uncle who was a monsinior (OF the cahtolic fate) In Pennsyvania were alot of my family still resides.Make a long story short back then they were a real pricey rod! I researched some only to find out most want items in (Prestiene cond.) I wouldent get rid of them but was intersted to see if i had something like the winning lotto ticket you no. But i guess its all about family values to me!! Good luck on your quest. RFY
    Reel foot yankee

Post Thanks / Like

Default Not A Fly Rod

My first guess WRONG
    By the looks of the rod, I would venture a guess that it was a "HOME MADE" bamboo rod. It is made from the natural stalk and it looks like the connecting ferrels were hand fabricated.
    NICE LOOKING ROD

Post Thanks / Like

My first guess WRONG
    By the looks of the rod, I would venture a guess that it was a "HOME MADE" bamboo rod. It is made from the natural stalk and it looks like the connecting ferrels were hand fabricated.
    NICE LOOKING ROD
    Nice looking rod at that! In the good old days that might had just as well cuaght the town record/lake.. the ones that i have are fly rods. I have several reels to go with and gave my brother some old lures still in box because he show cases them along with old ammo boxes in his show cases.
    Me and my wife have no children to hand them down to just my niece. so they will make great airlooms i believe. Them rods mean alot to me becuase i never really had a chance to spend time with my grand dad! Therefore you can't put a price on them!! Good luck fish'en RFY
    Reel foot yankee

Post Thanks / Like

Whatever it is, I'm gonna clean it up real good and once I get my basement finished, it's gonna hang on my game room wall right above the 3 pound crappie that I haven't caught yet. Better hurry on that fish I guess.....I think it will look great hanging with a couple nice mounts and some old antique lures and other fishing related things. Being from her side of the family, it gives me a little leverage with my wife to get the room decor I want. May be the only way I can get my way.
    Bob's Jigs Prostaff
    www.bobsjigs.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast